Mandatory Guns

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Mandatory Guns

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Try posting a "joke" on social media about bombing an airport.
Try taking a dump on a public street.
Heck, try sleeping on a park bench.

See what happens to you. That is because we have laws against those things, and the means to enforce them.
We should make schools gun-free zones, and pass laws against shooting people unless there's a really good reason (if they are endangering you, endangering another, or they're street mimes).
You are arguing from an all-or-nothing perspective.
I'm not. I'm pointing out that having laws on the books and the means to enforce them is not always effective. One example would be illegal drugs; we have laws on the books and the means to enforce them, and drugs.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well, I appreciate your consistency.

How do you account for other nations having very effective laws and enforcement?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Well, I appreciate your consistency.

How do you account for other nations having very effective laws and enforcement?
Do you mean effective law enforcement in general, or in regard to guns in particular?
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

Laws are not meant to prevent crime, Laws provide a means to provide justice against people who transgress others or society.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
excalibur wrote:Ink on paper
Try posting a "joke" on social media about bombing an airport.
Try taking a dump on a public street.
Heck, try sleeping on a park bench.

See what happens to you. That is because we have laws against those things, and the means to enforce them.
And if you go somewhere and shoot people up the police will arrest you (or kill you) because you broke the law, but the people you shot up would still be dead.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Try going to a place to eat at a restaurant with your parents but the law states you cannot bring a gun inside. So as good citizens, you leave your gun in your car because you follow the law. Then an asshole rams his truck through the front door, blocking the way out and then starts killing people for no reason. The cops get there, but not in time before you watched both your parents get shot in the face.

See what happens to you? And I didn't make up this story. This happened to someone and she went on to become a legislator that advocated her state to pass better carry laws
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."