Politics of the British Isles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Politics of the British Isles

Post by Fixer »

Source all of these or concede, particularly the claim that Corbyn's supporters are "militant Trotsky". The cries of "COMMUNIST!" hurled by the Right at anyone on the Left got old with McCarthy.
Sure. They've been claimed by people on his own side.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ber-claims

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... filtration

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... a6ef465753

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/j ... 6a0b61b233

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... r-11530544

and will return to the conversation later. Heading off for now!
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

So coming back to this after a couple of days.
The Romulan Republic wrote:And you continue to engage in sweeping generalizations about the media and the Left that, frankly, sound like they come right out of Trumpian propaganda (well, in fairness, the Donald would probably phrase them less articulately).
Generalisations which are accurate, as you yourself say.
The Romulan Republic wrote: It is no doubt true that some people have made exaggerated claims of prejudice and bigotry, weather out of malice, in genuine error, or out of frustration/a desire to adopt a strong stance on an important issue.
So you're agreeing that they're doing wrong, but they're doing it for a good reason so we can just ignore it?

This is the first problem. Nothing is every our fault they say. It's someone else's. We can be terrible, unethical, immoral but since we know in our hearts we are right, we are justified.

It is this elitism and a lack of self reflection that has turned people against the left in the UK and Europe.

Rationilisations for poor practises result in terrible practises performed by people that have shielded themselves from the consequences and realities of such things. In a democratic society given alternatives, they will not remain in power. As situations degrade, less and less savory alternatives start to look like more viable options.
The Romulan Republic wrote:However, that does not justify dismissing all such accusations without regard for evidence or the specifics of the circumstances. This is at best intellectually lazy, and at worst dishonest. And it sounds very much like a self-reinforcing position: You are inclined to assume that any accusation of bigotry is malicious and false, which reinforces your tendency to think badly of anyone who raises such concerns, which makes it more likely that you will dismiss any future allegations of discrimination as well.
When you cry wolf, you cannot complain if people fail to respond when you cry wolf. This is a centuries old lesson we teach children.

If left leading media/social media/elected parties burns its legitimacy by using labels to smear their opponents, their opponents voter base and declare hyperbolic apocalyptic outcomes to things which never come to pass then no-one is going to trust them, and those labelled by them unjustly are going to oppose them.

If claims of bigotry or racism are to be taken seriously again, then it has to be done in a situation where these claims are made honestly and not for political gain. Until such a cultural shift has occurred to return to sanity, the blame on the those who have cried wolf and continue to do so.
The Romulan Republic wrote: Nor do I buy the Right wing narrative that the "victory" of Trump and Brexit is a backlash against "political correctness" or womens'/minorities' rights activism (I put "victory" in quotes because Trump did not actually win the popular vote). Keep in mind that more voters voted for Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump by nearly three million, and neither got a majority, so the outcome of the election cannot be fairly treated as a popular endorsement or repudiation of anything, and if it could, its more an endorsement of the Left than a repudiation, if you go by public opinion. And given that both votes were relatively close (especially the US election), their are potentially any number of factors where, had one or two things gone just slightly differently, it might have changed the outcome. Trying to attribute those results simply to a backlash against the Left's support for Social Justice is an agenda-driven argument, not a fact-based one. It amounts to an attempt to delegitimize civil rights campaigners, to dismiss them as irrelevant, and to basically say "You need to shut up and know your place."

In which case, again... if the only way we can "win" is to shut up and concede the debate... well, then, we might as well go down swinging. No one ever won a fight by surrendering.

I mean, you appear to be essentially saying "If the Left wants to win, it needs to start saying what the Right approves of it saying." In which case, we become our enemies, or at any rate a paper opposition, an opposition in name only.
No, the way to win is not to concede the debate. It is to debate.

The left has forgotten how. Ideas should be put forth, challenged, argued on their merits, modified or discarded depending on the strengths of those arguments. Instead we find that issues are ignored on cases of ideology or political beliefs. Shut down with baseless claims and rhetoric, or is simply not reported on at all.

Simply put, the polarised political viewpoints now have at their extreme camps sides that believe they are right and the opposition is wrong. Therefore they do not have to listen, nor challenge their beliefs. Why should they? They believe this is a war to fight, and the other side has to be destroyed.
That's your viewpoint at least, you talk of battle. Not compromise.

If you cannot win a debate without underhanded and anti-enlightenment approaches then you don't deserve to win.

You talk about being silenced, but it is not the right silencing the left as it was in the age of the religious right trying to censor in the 90s. It is the left trying to silence the right. From universities, to the media, to even general discussion.

Is your concern that a cultural shift of power to the right will lead to the same strategies being applied against your political viewpoint? Should you not consider then, that these methods and practises are wrong?
The Romulan Republic wrote: Also... you can't have it both ways.

If the surge in Right wing populism is not based in bigotry, but in economic concerns, then it cannot be taken as a repudiation of Left wing positions on civil rights.

If it is a repudiation of Left wing views on civil rights, then that reinforces the belief that it was motivated primarily by bigotry.
[/quote][/quote]

Populism is an approach to appeal to the common concerns of ordinary people. We can see in your statement though the core of the problem in how you approach viewing the world.

A simple statement, a logical loop that justifies your belief that you are right. If it's not that the opposition are hateful bigots, how could the left lose? So many individuals with differing viewpoints and very human concerns thus labelled. If your reasons for voting were not economic, you are the enemy.

The utter failure to engage or deal with the concerns the common man lies at the heart of right's continuing increase in popularity while the left crumbles. Political parties thought this support was guaranteed or these votes were theirs by default. However years of neglect and a seeming disdain for the common working man have changed this.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

What ever happened to the Liberal Democrats? They had just about been running the UK government and then there was a fuss about, university tuition, was it, and then they disappeared? How is it that Labour didn't win that election?
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Back in 2010 the Election resulted in a hung parliament that required a coalition to break. Either by a possible but unlikely "rainbow alliance" of every party but the Tories, or the Tories and a couple of other parties.

Eventually after lots of discussion, the Lib-Dems and the Conservatives made a coalition, and since a lot of Lib Dems were staunchy opposed to the Tories, or tactically voted Lib Dems to keep the Tories out, they felt betrayed.

After this, there were two major policies the Lib Dems had, Proportional voting and no increase to Tution fees. Second was quite a big one since the Dems have a lot of voters from the young and idealistic student demographics. The first policy was watered down to an alternative votes scheme which went to referendum, and after a fear campaign failed to be pushed through. The second part was dropped entirely.

Combined with general failures in government, the Lib Dems lost their position as the alternative party to the big two and their voter base collapsed.

Edit: The Labour party's decline was a fairly steady slope after their 97 landslide victory. After 13 years, you could add the pensions raid, forced multiculturalism, immigration, economic incompetence, PC culture, Tony Blair's support of the Iraq war, scandals including David Kelly's suicide and MP expenses.

Defining moment of 2010 election was when a lifelong Labour voter called Gillian Duffy spoke to Gordon Brown regarding her concerns about immigration. He smiled, said he knew of her concerns. She went on went on camera saying he thought he was a very nice man.
What Gordon Brown didn't realise was, that Sky News caught him calling her a bigot. The spectacular collapse of Gordon Brown followed on from there: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... uffy-bigot

In the end the Tories ended up with a small majority, managed to make an agreement with the Lib Dems while Labour was unwilling to make any deals. The Coalition was formed, and existed until Labour chose the wrong Milliband, Labour and the Libs collapsing with Scotland turning to the SNP. This resulted in a Conservative majority.

Interestingly enough, doing a search to find the articles about Gillian Duffy, I found this: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... my-corbyn/
The lifelong Labour supporter is no fan the party’s current leader. “I will not follow Jeremy Corbyn,” she declares, adding she would prefer to have seen Andy Burnham elected leader. “We’ve gone a step back,” she says. So unimpressed was Mrs Duffy with Corbyn’s appointment, she cancelled her Labour Party membership. “I’m not a member of any party now,” she says.
Which follows the current state of Labour. After Corbyn's election they've been a party split down the middle, filled with resignations, accusations of entryism from previously banned hard left Labour factions such as militant. Currently seen as unelectable by the majority of the electorate.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Fixer wrote:*snip*
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

From recent polls it looks like the Conservatives are heading for a Landslide victory.

With the Tories under Theresa May now seen as the Brexit party, UKIP has seen it's supporters shift loyalties and I wouldn't be surprised if the party is effectively defunct after the election. Labour has seen a slight drop after its Brexit plan was released to no great fanfare and some ridicule.

With such high level of Tory support ,opposition strategy is to organise tactical voting to unseat Conservative MPs. Vince Cable has told Liberal Democrats to vote Green in his old Brighton seat.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I find it hard to believe that the British people would reward the Conservatives for setting their nation on the path to dissolution and economic isolation to win an election.

And even harder to believe that the other British parties are so pathetic that they can't win in that situation.

And I thought we had it bad with the Orange One.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Probably because you're under the mistaken impression that your concerns and your sense of morality are shared by some kind of silent majority when in fact it isn't. :)
-TR
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Admiral X wrote:Probably because you're under the mistaken impression that your concerns and your sense of morality are shared by some kind of silent majority when in fact it isn't. :)
Projection, much?

I mean, you go around insisting that the 2016 was a repudiation of the Left on the issue of race when we won the popular vote by a margin of nearly three million, despite voter supression, a candidate with a ridiculous amount of personal baggage, and the FBI sabotaging Clinton's campaign.

I don't claim that the majority agrees with me on all views, but I believe that on many issues, the majority is closer to me than to you, at least in America (I'm less familiar with British politics).

Also, you might want to cut back on the gloating. A win on a technicality against the will of the people by an administration that is now spectacularly crashing and burning is not a resounding triumph, and pride goeth before a fall.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Projection, much?
:lol: That's pretty much the upshot of what I just said in regards to your last statement. You know, the mistaken impression that there's some "silent majority" that agrees with your ideology that leaves you unable to comprehend why the "British people would reward the Conservatives."
despite voter supression,
Citation needed.
a candidate with a ridiculous amount of personal baggage,
A result of DNC corruption.
and the FBI sabotaging Clinton's campaign.
Would that be the same FBI trying to dig up some kind of a collusion between Trump and Russia?
I don't claim that the majority agrees with me on all views, but I believe that on many issues, the majority is closer to me than to you, at least in America (I'm less familiar with British politics).
Of course, or Gary Johnson (or Ron Paul) would've gotten more votes. Most Americans are indeed in favor of a powerful Federal government. That doesn't mean they want your particular brand of it, though. ;)
Also, you might want to cut back on the gloating. A win on a technicality against the will of the people by an administration that is now spectacularly crashing and burning is not a resounding triumph, and pride goeth before a fall.
Who says I'm happy with the result? Hell, I'm happy Clinton lost and that's about as far as it goes. I wish both of them could have lost, but way too many people have deluded themselves into thinking along the lines of "the lesser of two evils," and that's gotten us the God Emperor of Memes. :lol:
-TR