The Brexit Election

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Brexit Election

Post by clearspira »

Flag masturbation is by no means solely an American thing I will add. Go to Russia or China (empires?) and you will see that quickly.

The thing is that attributing power to symbols is the best way to manufacture power besides the gun because people will invariably fight for that symbol with the same tenacity they would their own child. A flag, the cross, a uniform, even McDonald's golden arches has power. The moment you realise this is the moment that those symbols lose a lot of that power... which is why quite often such free thought is not allowed and phrases such as ''if you hate the flag then you hate your country'' exist. In truth, hating your country and hating your symbols are not actually linked at all, you just hate all the pomp and bullshit that is meant to go with being a citizen of your bit of rock and/or you find slavish devotion to a piece of fabric to be a waste of your time. The same goes for national music too. ''Those bastards taking a knee during the anthem should be locked up'' etc.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Hey, masturbating with a flag violates the Flag Code! /SarcasmButTrue
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

You get a nice flag made from silk...
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

clearspira wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:56 pm Flag masturbation is by no means solely an American thing I will add. Go to Russia or China (empires?) and you will see that quickly.
*Looks at Crimea*
*Looks at Hong Kong*

I don't think it's too terribly controversial to say that Putin and Xi both have aspirations to restore the empires of their forebearers.

e: Although actually that surprises me about Russia. I had the impression they were still intensely cynical about the government and national pride in general, just things are more stable under Putin so fuck it why not.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I do view the US as a world hegemon. Or at least having been a significant one for a certain amount of time.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:48 am I do view the US as a world hegemon. Or at least having been a significant one for a certain amount of time.
I would say the contest is currently between America and China for the title. It all depends on how you look at it: both have significant power and influence in terms of corporations and products. America definitely has the edge in entertainment dominance thanks to Hollywood - although China is no slouch in producing films and makes up a significant portion of the revenue to those billion dollar Hollywood films.

The close runners up are India and Japan. They have corporate power and influence, and they do have great power in terms of entertainment with Bollywood for India and the likes of Sony, Nintendo and Manga for Japan. Definitely two to watch over the coming decades.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:19 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:48 am I do view the US as a world hegemon. Or at least having been a significant one for a certain amount of time.
I would say the contest is currently between America and China for the title. It all depends on how you look at it: both have significant power and influence in terms of corporations and products. America definitely has the edge in entertainment dominance thanks to Hollywood - although China is no slouch in producing films and makes up a significant portion of the revenue to those billion dollar Hollywood films.

The close runners up are India and Japan. They have corporate power and influence, and they do have great power in terms of entertainment with Bollywood for India and the likes of Sony, Nintendo and Manga for Japan. Definitely two to watch over the coming decades.
A quick search on it, and yeah China is brought up as a foil to the global stage.

It's a Washington Post workout, so mind the free-article limit before you hit a paywall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/04/04/uncertain-state-american-hegemony/

The Trump administration's approach to global affairs in terms of military networking and trade relations has had an affect on prospects, whether directly on to the US or to general economic relations between countries. Brexit has a similar impact on events and can be seen as a parallel in terms of economic prospects due to EU regulations.

On the other hand, Rome didn't fall in a day, and the viability of the viability of the US commerce centralization is still a thing, aside from industry mobilization. The movie industry itself as you're talking about is still dominated by not just the US, but Hollywood more specifically.
..What mirror universe?
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Hooooooly crap.

https://www.indy100.com/article/general-election-exit-poll-results-tory-majority-boris-johnson-seats-9244676
Hot off the presses: the prime minister won't actually be Hugh Grant... We're like 99.999 per cent sure that we'll wake up tomorrow to Boris Johnson still running the country.

This is not your standard campaign poll either, exit polls are insanely accurate. They predicted the hung parliament in 2017 and the Conservative win in 2015. If it goes the same way this time round, we're going to be faced with the biggest Tory majority in recent history.
So....congrats to Boris. That's no small feat.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah but that kinda sucks for the EU and world order.
..What mirror universe?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

LittleRaven wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:57 pm Hooooooly crap.

https://www.indy100.com/article/general-election-exit-poll-results-tory-majority-boris-johnson-seats-9244676
Hot off the presses: the prime minister won't actually be Hugh Grant... We're like 99.999 per cent sure that we'll wake up tomorrow to Boris Johnson still running the country.

This is not your standard campaign poll either, exit polls are insanely accurate. They predicted the hung parliament in 2017 and the Conservative win in 2015. If it goes the same way this time round, we're going to be faced with the biggest Tory majority in recent history.
So....congrats to Boris. That's no small feat.
The most interesting part for me was people blaming Brexit for the apparent conservative win. I had come to expect the timeline for Brexit to resemble that for commercial fusion power, but if Brexit has that much enthusiasm...