Joe Biden defense thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Joe Biden defense thread

Post by Madner Kami »

GreyICE wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pmBiden is a step backwards in all relevant areas. Climate Change, healthcare, wherever you look his plan is to do the least he can do. A wit put it this way: "Joe Biden's car repair: we restore your car to the exact condition it was in five minutes before the wheels came off."

I'd be happy to vote against Biden were he the Republican candidate, which really would not be that unlikely given how conservative he generally is. But instead he's running against a guy who tries to tell you the fact your car is on fire is fake news - while he's standing next to an empty fuel can, holding a lighter, and his pants smell of gasoline.
You have the choice between a working car with a known flaw that you can fix before it breaks down again or, the choice of getting sued because your burned down car is litering the environment. Your call.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 pm
GreyICE wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pmBiden is a step backwards in all relevant areas. Climate Change, healthcare, wherever you look his plan is to do the least he can do. A wit put it this way: "Joe Biden's car repair: we restore your car to the exact condition it was in five minutes before the wheels came off."

I'd be happy to vote against Biden were he the Republican candidate, which really would not be that unlikely given how conservative he generally is. But instead he's running against a guy who tries to tell you the fact your car is on fire is fake news - while he's standing next to an empty fuel can, holding a lighter, and his pants smell of gasoline.
You have the choice between a working car with a known flaw that you can fix before it breaks down again or, the choice of getting sued because your burned down car is litering the environment. Your call.
As sad as it is to say, I do get where some of those voters are coming from, even if I can't condone it. They are so fed up with our tired old routines, they support Mr. 45 simply because they want to burn everything down from the inside. Speed up the natural process of decay. Personally, I'd never support that worldview, because it is inherently self-destructive as we've seen in many past dictatorships like Nazi Germany, and yet in a few ways I can't help feeling sorry for these people, because they live in a very dark place and a lot of hardcore things are going terribly wrong in their personal lives, whether that's mental illness or something else. I'm like... maybe they should disconnect, and get a hobby? That helps! Find a hobby. Join a community that's committed to spreading good vibes.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

A pertinent question is why your choice looks like this.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:59 pm I'm not talking about worldly revolution lol I'm talking about the US history. tbs, What, does China or India have UHC? Does the European Union organize subsidized healthcare?

It is the biggest development of the healthcare system since WWII. It wasn't particularly cheap so it's not impossible for it to be scrutinized, but it's nonetheless effective to a capacity and is ultimately an indication of government orchestrating rational fiscal directives that cooperate with a market economy.
With all due respect, this is so jingoistic it's borderline racist. It's well understood the American system doesn't work, and we have dozens of examples of better systems with superior outcomes. You throw a dart and you hit one of them. Back pre-Obama, one of the favorite whipping boys of "both sides" was healthcare. Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, Bill Maher and Norman Mailer rarely all agree on something, but every one of them thinks healthcare in the United States fucking sucks.

Romneycare, as it was originally called back when Mitt Romney proposed it for his state, is a band aid slapped over a gaping wound.

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:59 pmIf you want to get into specifics that'd be cool. I believe at the very least he has been able to produce sound bites for key agendas, contrary to what you're indicating about his platforms. Until further notice or more specific information then I'm not of the mind to undermine his generally progressive campaign.
Oh boy, which wonderful Biden incident or vote do you want? The time he voted against racial equality? His votes against gay rights? Eh, any politician that old has some votes they regret.

Lets discuss how Joe Biden systemically worked with banks to bury the American people in debt: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/11/biden-bankruptcy-president/

Really, watching the rally behind him as Bernie became a real threat, complete with fucking Bloomberg jumping in, was as pathetic as it was predictable.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

One consistent thing about Biden is that he will lie and cheat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/echoes-of-bidens-1987-plagiarism-scandal-continue-to-reverberate/2019/06/05/dbaf3716-7292-11e9-9eb4-0828f5389013_story.html

https://www.c-span.org/video/?3683-1/biden-campaign-appearance&start=2485

He is every bit the tool Trump is just in the blue instead of the red.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

GreyICE wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:45 am

Because the boomers are greedy bastards that sacrificed everything so they could have a little more and a huge number of them are deeply racist.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 am
GreyICE wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:45 am

Because the boomers are greedy bastards that sacrificed everything so they could have a little more and a huge number of them are deeply racist.
I've met plenty of bigots among my generation, and I'm Gen Y. Far be it from me to support the argument to moderation fallacy, and yet, you can honestly sit there and say 73 million people, men and women, are racist? I must ask this... are you speaking specifically of boomers in general, or just white boomers among them out? Because this strikes me as confirmation bias about your worldview, that many of them watch Fox News, they are brainwashed, they want segregation, and all that other BS, because Mr. 45 carried 62 million votes back in 2016. You should be ashamed if you ever call 73 million people racist, any more than I would call 65 million people paid shills. It's an ecological fallacy.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:53 amI've met plenty of bigots among my generation, and I'm Gen Y. Far be it from me to support the argument to moderation fallacy, and yet, you can honestly sit there and say 73 million people, men and women, are racist? I must ask this... are you speaking specifically of boomers in general, or just white boomers among them out? Because this strikes me as confirmation bias about your worldview, that many of them watch Fox News, they are brainwashed, they want segregation, and all that other BS, because Mr. 45 carried 62 million votes back in 2016. You should be ashamed if you ever call 73 million people racist, any more than I would call 65 million people paid shills. It's an ecological fallacy.

Why would it surprise you that a quarter of the country is racist? It was within living memory that we sent black kids to separate schools, made black people sit on the back of the bus, told black people they couldn't eat in the same restaurants and shop at the same stores. The last lynching was, oh, a few weeks ago.

We don't get to statistics like "black people get 50% of the job offers and opportunities that equally qualified white candidates get" thanks to "a few bad apples". There's a large amount of systemic racism in America.

Captain Crimson
Captain

GreyICE wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:25 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:53 amI've met plenty of bigots among my generation, and I'm Gen Y. Far be it from me to support the argument to moderation fallacy, and yet, you can honestly sit there and say 73 million people, men and women, are racist? I must ask this... are you speaking specifically of boomers in general, or just white boomers among them out? Because this strikes me as confirmation bias about your worldview, that many of them watch Fox News, they are brainwashed, they want segregation, and all that other BS, because Mr. 45 carried 62 million votes back in 2016. You should be ashamed if you ever call 73 million people racist, any more than I would call 65 million people paid shills. It's an ecological fallacy.

Why would it surprise you that a quarter of the country is racist? It was within living memory that we sent black kids to separate schools, made black people sit on the back of the bus, told black people they couldn't eat in the same restaurants and shop at the same stores. The last lynching was, oh, a few weeks ago.

We don't get to statistics like "black people get 50% of the job offers and opportunities that equally qualified white candidates get" thanks to "a few bad apples". There's a large amount of systemic racism in America.
Because it strikes me as a false dilemma or black-and-white fallacy. And more of the same "white people bad, minorities good!" position I've seen being advocated in recent years the actual minorities on this messageboard would disagree with. We know the white institutions held slaves, but they also held white slaves and black people had slaves too. Whether you want to argue over technicalities like chattel slaves versus indebted servitude such as the Irish had doesn't cut it. Let me also clarify before someone can post an ad-hominem on me, that I am NOT defending slavery. The whips on the backs of slaves turns my stomach. People like that deserve to be hung, bottom line. But true equality is a double-edged sword if you truly want to remain consistent to your beliefs and move into a more tolerant future.

That was 150 years ago, why can't we just let the past go? Presentism only takes you so far, especially when stacked against the historian's fallacy. It's too easy to see how vast urban habitations, with their diversity, is the cause of so much strife, and so misplace the blame on the wrong people, in this case, being the fact that whites and blacks can't ever get along, so it's impossible to try. Can human beings ever really get along? This board seems to prove true tolerance is a billion miles away. Which is what I want for the future of our society. There can be no tolerance if you're collective-shaming millions of people. Like I'd said, that's an ecological fallacy. You can't determine what the actions of individuals are based on aggregate numbers, especially when half the country doesn't vote.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Actually, the Equal Rights Amendment was less than 50 years ago. It was immensely controversial. To this day, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South & North Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas, Utah, Arizona, and Missouri have not ratified it. While it was useful, it was litigated for years. And as we can see, many states still can't find majorities to ratify it.

So when you say "150 years ago" it's complete horseshit. We're talking effects that are a few decades old. We're talking modern day for employment discrimination, modern day for legal discrimination, modern day for widespread racism and anger over it.

So yes, it's not a surprise that a quarter the country is racist. It's really not.