Student loan forgiveness, for reals this time

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Student loan forgiveness, for reals this time

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:51 am Reagan admitted he saw a college-educated population as a threat. That's why he created the student loan crisis as we know it.
Bingo. They want the US poor and dumb so they're dependent on slave wage positions and gullible enough to believe that that is actually the best thing ever.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:32 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:51 am Reagan admitted he saw a college-educated population as a threat. That's why he created the student loan crisis as we know it.
Bingo. They want the US poor and dumb so they're dependent on slave wage positions and gullible enough to believe that that is actually the best thing ever.
Slave-wage labor, and voluntary military service to escape poverty. You don't even have to be gullible, just desperate. I've known a lot of people who pretty reasonably felt like they had no other choice, and followed these paths. Some of them did fairly well for themselves, and it's a shame to me, thinking how much they could have accomplished putting that drive to better use elsewhere in the places they would have wanted with better choices available.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:38 pm
Slave-wage labor, and voluntary military service to escape poverty. You don't even have to be gullible, just desperate. I've known a lot of people who pretty reasonably felt like they had no other choice, and followed these paths. Some of them did fairly well for themselves, and it's a shame to me, thinking how much they could have accomplished putting that drive to better use elsewhere in the places they would have wanted with better choices available.
Umm I am a volunteer US Military veteran. I was no desperate and I can tell you majority of people that I have known when I was in, were not desperate. It wasnt a desperate move to escape poverty or to get free college.

It was like many 18-19 year olds just not knowing what the hell to do with thenlmselves. Like no focus. No idea what to do. Not even going to college for a semister either.

Yeah sure some of them were poor and couldn't go to college even if they wanted to, others did poorly in high school that they didn't bother with college.

The desperate ones are the ones who are older. Who did the college thing, but only got a associate degree or not even that, floated job to job. Racked up college debt they cannot pay because no degree.

I know one person who joined thd Navy at 23 and was close to being a nurse. But she hit a wall financially and joined to pay off that debt as well as get that free college perk. Stayed in for four years and now she is a nurse.

Me? I joined and became an aircraft mechanic on F-14 Tomcats and F/A-18EF Super Hornets for eight years. Then used that knowledge to continue on to be aircraft mechanic on commercial, private and corporate planes. This was not even in the realm of possibility when I was 18.
I got nothing to say here.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:33 am
Umm I am a volunteer US Military veteran. I was no desperate and I can tell you majority of people that I have known when I was in, were not desperate. It wasnt a desperate move to escape poverty or to get free college.

It was like many 18-19 year olds just not knowing what the hell to do with thenlmselves. Like no focus. No idea what to do. Not even going to college for a semister either.

Yeah sure some of them were poor and couldn't go to college even if they wanted to, others did poorly in high school that they didn't bother with college.

The desperate ones are the ones who are older. Who did the college thing, but only got a associate degree or not even that, floated job to job. Racked up college debt they cannot pay because no degree.

I know one person who joined thd Navy at 23 and was close to being a nurse. But she hit a wall financially and joined to pay off that debt as well as get that free college perk. Stayed in for four years and now she is a nurse.

Me? I joined and became an aircraft mechanic on F-14 Tomcats and F/A-18EF Super Hornets for eight years. Then used that knowledge to continue on to be aircraft mechanic on commercial, private and corporate planes. This was not even in the realm of possibility when I was 18.
You're kind of proving the point here. If the opportunity to become an aircraft mechanic was presented to you without having to go through the military, including pay during your training, would you have joined the military?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:31 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:33 am

You're kind of proving the point here. If the opportunity to become an aircraft mechanic was presented to you without having to go through the military, including pay during your training, would you have joined the military?
No I wouldn't. Not at age 18. I would have tried my hand at engineering and knowing now, I would have failed at it. At that age I was not that good at test taking, studying or homework. Hell I nearly had to take summer school because of Spanish class. I barely passed that class with a 59.8% which rounds up to a passing grade of 60%.

So at age 18 going to college would have been a waste of my parents money.

Oh btw, once I was in boot camp they saved up to fix the roof, replace the garage doors, fix the kitchen ceiling, remodel the common and master bathrooms and buy a new car. The running joke was that was how expensive I was as a teenager. The actual college money they saved for me went to my Mom getting her Masters degree though.
I got nothing to say here.