The Paradox of Tolerance

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Arkle
Officer

Re: The Paradox of Tolerance

Post by Arkle »

GandALF wrote:Using violence on them gives them the chance to say "look, our race/nation is under attack! join us." If you ignore them or tell them to get lost then their ideas can't be as easily defended.
They say that anyway! You are talking about people who would have you believe that if I, a white man, were to engage in a (consensual) sex act with a woman of color I am "committing genocide" against the white race. These are people who claim censorship if they get kicked off a privately owned website for violating the Terms of Service. People who thought it was perfectly reasonable to send a video game critic death threats for a "negative reivew" of GTA V where she gave the game a score of 95/100! Stop acting like Nazis don't already have a false sense of being oppressed.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Arkle wrote:Gonna go with stupid. My coment was in response to the question of "Who do we listen to about what counts as racism." Learn to read asshole!
I haven't insulted you, Arkle. There's no need to insult me.

And I do follow various black journalists and scholars, but I haven't seen any of them advocating violence. But you are. Explicitly. I'm just wondering if any of them agree with you.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

LittleRaven wrote:
Arkle wrote:Gonna go with stupid. My coment was in response to the question of "Who do we listen to about what counts as racism." Learn to read asshole!
I haven't insulted you, Arkle. There's no need to insult me.

And I do follow various black journalists and scholars, but I haven't seen any of them advocating violence. But you are. Explicitly.
And I never said they were advocating violence either. You either deliberately took what I said out of context, or you just skimmed over what I was saying and inserted what you thought I meant into your response. So what is it Raven? Are you a liar, or just lazy?
---
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Arkle wrote:
GandALF wrote:Using violence on them gives them the chance to say "look, our race/nation is under attack! join us." If you ignore them or tell them to get lost then their ideas can't be as easily defended.
They say that anyway! You are talking about people who would have you believe that if I, a white man, were to engage in a (consensual) sex act with a woman of color I am "committing genocide" against the white race. These are people who claim censorship if they get kicked off a privately owned website for violating the Terms of Service. People who thought it was perfectly reasonable to send a video game critic death threats for a "negative reivew" of GTA V where she gave the game a score of 95/100! Stop acting like Nazis don't already have a false sense of being oppressed.
Get your eyes checked old man. What I said was that they use violence against them as a propaganda tool. Don't help their propaganda efforts.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

GandALF wrote:
Arkle wrote:
Get your eyes checked old man. What I said was that they use violence against them as a propaganda tool. Don't help their propaganda efforts.
Get yours checked. What I said was they were going to act that way regardless of if you punch them or not. At least if you punch them enough they know they're gonna be able to just roll in and take-over without a fight.
---
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Arkle wrote:And I never said they were advocating violence either.
Hm....let's look at that post again....
Little Raven wrote:This is very vague. What's enough? Who determines when we've had enough? What constitutes 'spreading their nonsense in public?' How do you appeal decisions if you feel you were beaten in error?
Note that I am explicitly asking about who gets to determine who gets beaten, and you respond with
Arkle wrote:Asking people victimized by racism is a good place to start.
I apologize if I was not supposed to interpret this exchange as you saying that people who were victimized by racism should be the ones who determine who gets beaten...but I think my error is understandable.

So perhaps you can clarify. Who should determine which Nazis get punched?
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

LittleRaven wrote:
Arkle wrote:And I never said they were advocating violence either.
Hm....let's look at that post again....
Little Raven wrote:This is very vague. What's enough? Who determines when we've had enough? What constitutes 'spreading their nonsense in public?' How do you appeal decisions if you feel you were beaten in error?
Note that I am explicitly asking about who gets to determine who gets beaten, and you respond with
Arkle wrote:Asking people victimized by racism is a good place to start.
I apologize if I was not supposed to interpret this exchange as you saying that people who were victimized by racism should be the ones who determine who gets beaten...but I think my error is understandable.

So perhaps you can clarify. Who should determine which Nazis get punched?
You left out part of my comments. From the same link;
Who determines who is and isn't a racist,

Asking people victimized by racism is a good place to start. Of course, most people don't do that. They just decide they aren't racist based on whatever logical fallacy they can think of and then get angry when you point it out.
It is plain to see to anyone who isn't a pathetic liar like yourself, that what I was repsonding to was a specific question. You are officially on the Foe list. You offer nothing of value to this conversation or to humanity in general. I just wish I could block you outright, but this forum doesn't allow for that. I'll still have to see your trash posts when people quote-reply them, but at the very least I can minimize my interactions with you and your dishonesty.
---
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Gah we shouldn't have fed him.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

You know, you're right. I did make a mistake clipping that. For that, I apologize.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

GandALF wrote:Gah we shouldn't have fed him.
No, it's always worth the effort. I like Arkle. At least he's passionate.