Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

Re: Trump vs Biden: the return

Post by phantom000 »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:26 am Just for reference: where are we all, geographically? I presume we're mostly Americans here, but beyond that. Name your state or coast, if nothing else.

I'm down Tennessee way, myself. Oak Ridge to be specific (yes, as in "The Manhattan Project"). Would be in Portland or Seattle, if the funds had ever panned out. Might still be my rough Plan B.
Arkansas; so I got lots of wooded hills to run and hide if need be. A person could stay hidden almost indefinitely, assuming they don't mind living downwind of a meth lab.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:41 pm
m4a2000 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:59 pmI will vote, I will help students of mine register to vote, and I will use my job in the video and educational word to get more people to vote. Outside of that I wait and hope.
Thank you for your effort. But you know what really bothers me beyond this Supreme Court decission? It's not the fact that this de fakto "Do whatever you please"-decission existing. It's Democrats not fixing it, while they're in office and have the presidency. This decission doesn't go away, no matter who's getting elected president. It stays until the hole is fixed. And the Democrats don't exactly strike me as a bunch of people who actually realize what just happened here or historically having a good track-record in similar regards in the first place. Relying on the honor system is just going to leave the door wide open for the next dictator to come around and walk right into it.
Well, what can they do? They tried to get the supreme court nominees in place and the republicans just stole seats from them anyway. Tell me what they should be doing to prevent this and I'll call my congress members and bug them about it.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

President Biden should exploit this and clean house.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:25 pm Camden County, New Jersey for location.
I am in NJ as well. We can meet up and go hunt some humans wearing red hats together.
I got nothing to say here.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:35 am President Biden should exploit this and clean house.
Honestly, yeah. We need to start fighting fire with fire.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:09 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:35 am President Biden should exploit this and clean house.
Honestly, yeah. We need to start fighting fire with fire.
And that's the biggest issue with all of this: If Biden uses the powers like the Supreme Court says the President can where does it stop? Does he do it once to just protect abortion? Does he uses it to declare stop to the election? Does he reshape the country at the federal level like Project 2025 wants to but for the left? Outside of Impeachment, which given how things are worded he could declare anyone a enemy of the state and off them to stop an Impeachment, or the 25th Amendment how do you keep the leader of the most power country on this planet in check when he can make anything an 'official act of the office' including crime?

OK, what if he doesn't exploit it, wins, and in 4 years from now we have 2 new candidates... What will they do? Will Congress have passed any law by then to curtail the power? You would almost need an amendment. That has to be also ratified by three froths, so 38, states. Can that be done in time?

This is opens up so many 'what ifs' that were never asked before. I have no idea what the right solution will be, but to get there it will not be a pleasant trip.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

He can't exploit it, because the court has made the ruling so wide and ambiguous that basically those things can only be done with a SCOTUS stamp of approval, and they are very much not on his side.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:49 am
He can't exploit it, because the court has made the ruling so wide and ambiguous that basically those things can only be done with a SCOTUS stamp of approval, and they are very much not on his side.
Which is why one of those things would be to remove them and pack the courts. Then he can rule they can't rule on it.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Reddit's being astro turfed HARD by russia. Tons and TONS of users who never said anything suddenly declaring the evils of Biden and how they just won't vote. Suddenly a LOT of comic art drawn by nobodies showing how this is an election of a corpse and how, maybe we are all fucked and should just give up. It's WILD.

The thing is when people think pro russia astro turfing, they think the early months of the Ukraine war where it was 'BUT ACTUALLY NATO AND US DID THIS' but this is more how they won the 2016 election. Just keep pushing ONE thing, and ignore all others. Ignore Trump is convicted, a pedophile, a rapist, a monster, ignore it all. Biden is old, ergo, WE ARE ALL DOOMED.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:13 pm Reddit's being astro turfed HARD by russia. Tons and TONS of users who never said anything suddenly declaring the evils of Biden and how they just won't vote. Suddenly a LOT of comic art drawn by nobodies showing how this is an election of a corpse and how, maybe we are all fucked and should just give up. It's WILD.

The thing is when people think pro russia astro turfing, they think the early months of the Ukraine war where it was 'BUT ACTUALLY NATO AND US DID THIS' but this is more how they won the 2016 election. Just keep pushing ONE thing, and ignore all others. Ignore Trump is convicted, a pedophile, a rapist, a monster, ignore it all. Biden is old, ergo, WE ARE ALL DOOMED.
You can see a lot of that happening, once you're generally aware of it's existence. Normally it's just a general background noise of people commenting on the strangest things with complains about the bad government or wokeness or just generally any sort of negativity. It's creating a general "haze of negativity", once you look at it from a broader perspective. Now there certainly are a lot of unhappy people out there, who're part of this chorus, but there are usually some... You know them when you see them. Instigators, not trolls, just... "persons" who place two sentences and vanish into the darkness of the world wide web, never to be seen anywhere again. Or indeed, never having been seen anywhere before. Just touching the first stone on a domino ever so slightly. Plucking a string.

It's... real. It's very real. Societies have been shaped by social engineering since forever. Mass media allowed it on a scale never seen before and subtle in ways that are hard to percieve and the methods become ever more sophisticated until we reach today's white noise in the Web.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox