NYT's Nazi Next Door lost job, fled home

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: NYT's Nazi Next Door lost job, fled home

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote: I could point toward those on the left explicitly advocating violence ("Pigs in a blanket! Fry 'em like bacon!" / "Trump must go by any means necessary!") or racism ("Rebuild New Orleans as a chocolate city" / "Gentrification? We don't want all those whites moving in!"), or that, oh yeah, I'm the one arguing for free speech and against the violent suppression of opposing points of view.
How exactly is "chocolate city" or "we don't want gentrification" explicitly violent? You could interpret it that way, your could see it as a call to the community not to sell their houses to those shady "we buy any house!" flipper types or to push local ordinances and oppose the construction of expensive condos by peaceful means.
Please re-read what I said (which I re-included in this response), a key word of which I've now made bold-face. I never said those were violent. I said those were racist. Someone (I don't remember who) in an earlier thread had said that racism is inherently violent, and I wanted to at least partly head that off at the pass. There'll be those saying that isn't really racism, but one pass at a time. Cowpokes are stretched mighty thin these days, ah reckon.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: I'd also take issue with the pigs in a blanket one, since of the weapons used against police I have not seen any news incidents of them being subjected to electric shock or boiling oils.
I took this less literally. If you choose to take their chants as indicating that police should be literally fried and put into blankets, that's fine. Or if you took this as actual treatment of pigs. The kind with the curly tail and a tendency to befriend spiders. I can't even accuse you of hypocrisy, since I haven't seen you interpret anything as "coded" or "dog whistle politics."
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: I never said that I was going to fight by "any means necessary", nor is that view supported in the article.
That's absolutely fair. I never said that was your motive, and, in fact I never really addressed the article at all. My thrust was the general punch-a-Nazi tone I perceived in the thread.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: It seems likely to me that he moved because his neighbors know he's a Nazi now, and he's terrified that non-white non-christian neighbors might do to him what he wants to do to them.
Ship him and his family overseas?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I apologize for missing out that part of your post. Saw violence, missed the racism mention.

I said what he wants to do to them, not what he's openly advocating for them. Since he's not a poster on this forum, I think I can get away with reading little into his intentions towards brown people and assume that they are of a rather hostile nature.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:I apologize for missing out that part of your post. Saw violence, missed the racism mention.
Apology accepted, and no worries.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:I said what he wants to do to them, not what he's openly advocating for them. Since he's not a poster on this forum, I think I can get away with reading little into his intentions towards brown people and assume that they are of a rather hostile nature.
Not being telepathic myself, I'll have to take your word for it. I mean, I didn't even know that "pigs in a blanket; fry 'em like bacon" actually only referred to boiling oil. I thought "pigs in a blanket" was referring to cops in body bags. You can probably imagine how silly I feel now that you've cleared up both points for me.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

wait, what do body bags have to do with frying? @_@
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
GandALF wrote:The whole "Teh Nazis r takin ovur!!1!!1" hysteria is unfounded. The Nazis had modern reinventions of old ideas, they were not kooks who think 4chan is serious and they had the competence to speak in full sentences unlike Trump.
I'm not sure I take your meaning. Could you elaborate or restate?
A long tradition of authoritarian militarism allowed the Nazis to come to power, abandoning a long tradition of anti-authoritarian values that allow fringe kooks to say mean things is not going to prevent a Nazi takeover in any way, and Trumps racially charged incoherent rambling does not count as the "mainstreaming" of Nazi views either.

They understood this in 1945:

youtu.be/CCdyGLCXz_4
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:wait, what do body bags have to do with frying? @_@
Fried food is known to be unhealthy.

Well, or "frying" might have been used metaphorically. Maybe it was a chant wishing for the good health of the police. You know, exposure to the sun. Vitamin D is essential for good bone health, and BLM surely knew that.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

GandALF wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:
GandALF wrote:The whole "Teh Nazis r takin ovur!!1!!1" hysteria is unfounded. The Nazis had modern reinventions of old ideas, they were not kooks who think 4chan is serious and they had the competence to speak in full sentences unlike Trump.
I'm not sure I take your meaning. Could you elaborate or restate?
A long tradition of authoritarian militarism allowed the Nazis to come to power, abandoning a long tradition of anti-authoritarian values that allow fringe kooks to say mean things is not going to prevent a Nazi takeover in any way, and Trumps racially charged incoherent rambling does not count as the "mainstreaming" of Nazi views either.

They understood this in 1945:

youtu.be/CCdyGLCXz_4
Okay.

They aren't just 4-chan kooks. They are your preachers, your police officers, and your state representatives. Nazis are at the forefront, and they can easily draw on the manpower of the Klan and other white nationalist movements. Dismissing them as basement-dwelling freaks ignores the real threat here.

That rotten tangerine in charge is managing to wield massive power through consent of an entire major political party. Just imagine what will happen if a competent KKK-approved candidate wins.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Okay.

They aren't just 4-chan kooks. They are your preachers, your police officers, and your state representatives. Nazis are at the forefront, and they can easily draw on the manpower of the Klan and other white nationalist movements. Dismissing them as basement-dwelling freaks ignores the real threat here.

That rotten tangerine in charge is managing to wield massive power through consent of an entire major political party. Just imagine what will happen if a competent KKK-approved candidate wins.
Are you just trolling now? You should go outside for a while if you're that paranoid. It took 200 years to produce the Nazis, even the democratically elected president preceding Hitler was an aristocratic general. There have been SEVERAL "KKK-approved" presidents and none of them were equivalent to Hitler or the Kaiser or Bismarck or Frederick the Great.

To make it clear:

Germany:

1713-1919: authoritarian militarism (206 years), 1919-1933: democracy (14 years)

United States:

1789-present: ever increasing democracy (228 years)

ITS NOT THE SAME
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

GandALF wrote:Germany: 1713-1919: authoritarian militarism (206 years
Really? You know so gleefully nothing about german history and the rag rug it really was and is. But I begin to see why you think that Nazism is the result of prussian militarism. You postulate a clear continuity and unified development without that being the case. The "prussian" germany didn't even exist till 1871 and prussian militarism, while it was essentially state doctrine, didn't take root in all of Germany, thanks to the federal nature of the body. Of course the prussian militarism had it's effect on the Nazis taking power, no question there, but postulating it as the root course, is just nonsense.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox