Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Captain Crimson »

I mean, this is just so sad. If they'd been doing their jobs for the last few decades, maybe we wouldn't be here.

I have many friends from left and right walks of life, and yet, on the issue of the seizure of the Seattle police precinct, I honestly can't see what GOOD it is going to do long-term. Yet unlike the righties, I still feel pity for them, above anything. They're just people fighting for what they believe in, unaware we're just such a tiny cosmic blink in the tapestry of the universe and history, and whether you stand with police or stand with peaceful protesters, or with both, this is precisely why I avoid cable news.

They want us fighting each other. Mr. 45 incites his base, they fire right back and put a distorted spin on the facts, like the media blackout on Ms. Reade. I don't agree with lefties who feel this is a necessary symbolic step when all it's done is just prove how fragile this country is and ready to explode, nor do I agree with righties who think we need to send in troops to seize it back. But I will not demonize said people because deep down the base emotion driving both is the same. FEAR. TERROR. FIGHT OR FLIGHT. The other side is pure evil and going to destroy America. There is no middle ground.

Some will blame 9/11. Some will say the election of the first black president did that. I say that the cable news did it. I think a significant amount of time should be dedicated to positive stories. All they want is chaos, all they want is to promote their views, and it's the single greatest era of yellow press I've ever witnessed.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:23 am https://twitter.com/UNGeneva/status/1274007783864627201
They deleted the tweet
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:06 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:23 am https://twitter.com/UNGeneva/status/1274007783864627201
They deleted the tweet
Makes sense. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights heard about the POTUS wanting to have ANTIFA declared a terrorist organization and wanted to conduct some independent investigations pertaining to what is going on in the US right now... #DefundTheUN started trending near-instantly. The replies on the linked tweet were overwhelmingly negative.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:06 am
Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:06 am
They deleted the tweet
Makes sense. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights heard about the POTUS wanting to have ANTIFA declared a terrorist organization and wanted to conduct some independent investigations pertaining to what is going on in the US right now... #DefundTheUN started trending near-instantly. The replies on the linked tweet were overwhelmingly negative.
Nothing in the deleted tweet said anything about investigations. It instead immediately threw in support for antifa.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:55 am I mean, this is just so sad. If they'd been doing their jobs for the last few decades, maybe we wouldn't be here.

I have many friends from left and right walks of life, and yet, on the issue of the seizure of the Seattle police precinct, I honestly can't see what GOOD it is going to do long-term. Yet unlike the righties, I still feel pity for them, above anything. They're just people fighting for what they believe in, unaware we're just such a tiny cosmic blink in the tapestry of the universe and history, and whether you stand with police or stand with peaceful protesters, or with both, this is precisely why I avoid cable news.
No one planned to seize the East Precinct. No one stormed the building. It wasn't some gonzo charge, a human wave overwhelming them. The police just up and left. They took the guns, left the door unlocked, and walked out. The boarding up and entrance covering? That was the protesters. The police have been back several times since.

They're just pitching a temper tantrum like a three year old. They're like "you think we're doing a bad job? Fine! We'll do nothing! See how you like it then!" On their own, they're making the best possible arguments for defunding and replacing the entire organization possible. It's incredibly apparent that "being an effective police force" is not part of their mission statement.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I case anyone wants to read the tweet, here's what I pulled from google cache:
UN #HumanRights experts express profound concern over a recent statement by the US Attorney-General describing #Antifa and other anti-fascist activists as domestic terrorists, saying it undermines the rights to freedom of expression and of peaceful assembly in the country.pic.twitter.com/2Pz2dMyq8k
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

GreyICE wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:55 am I mean, this is just so sad. If they'd been doing their jobs for the last few decades, maybe we wouldn't be here.

No one planned to seize the East Precinct. No one stormed the building. It wasn't some gonzo charge, a human wave overwhelming them. The police just up and left. They took the guns, left the door unlocked, and walked out. The boarding up and entrance covering? That was the protesters. The police have been back several times since.
Just like France when Germany took over.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

GreyICE wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am

They're just pitching a temper tantrum like a three year old. They're like "you think we're doing a bad job? Fine! We'll do nothing! See how you like it then!" On their own, they're making the best possible arguments for defunding and replacing the entire organization possible. It's incredibly apparent that "being an effective police force" is not part of their mission statement.
I stand by my statement. It's depriving people of an essential service, law enforcement. Because I hold to my views that out of 17,000 cops, the vast majority are not the psychotic murderers leftists such as yourself believe them to be.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 pmI stand by my statement. It's depriving people of an essential service, law enforcement. Because I hold to my views that out of 17,000 cops, the vast majority are not the psychotic murderers leftists such as yourself believe them to be.
You know I've discussed, at length, in this thread, all of the structural problems of the police.

And you've come up with this strawman. Really. Is that what you really got from my words?

If so, you're a waste of everyone's time.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

wile their cause is good, is it really a good thing label any and all criticize of Black Lives Matter racism, making them above reproach? the riots have lead to deaths, black people included, how does that address the issue of police brutality, especially when they at one point blocked police from saving a man's life?

also, I've seen a clip of one BLM protester shouting "kill those cops, kill their kids too!", that's disgusting.