International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Re: International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Admiral X wrote::lol: Sure, keep going with that. That totally didn't turn people against the Democrats in the last election at all.
Yes, I know that Rightists like yourself are trying to push the narrative that the Left is irrelevant because we actually acknowledge that discrimination is still a major problem, and that if we want to win we need to just keep our mouths shut (i.e. concede that entire debate to you).

To which I reply that one should not take campaign advice from those who's goal is to defeat you, that such advice is likely given in bad faith, that no fight was ever won by surrendering to the opposition, and that the Left's biggest problem for years has been the fallacy that we must constantly move further to the Right and compromise with those who, by and large, have no interest in compromising with us. If we wish to win, we must not be afraid to stand for something, and if we simply adopt the positions our opponents tell us to adopt, then it really doesn't matter who wins, does it?

No, the 2016 election was not a repudiation of Left wing views on social justice and discrimination. This can be demonstrated by the following facts:

1. Clinton actually won the popular vote, by nearly three million, although neither she nor Trump won an outright majority. Trump's victory says next to nothing about the collective sentiments of the American people, and if it says anything at all, its that the people as a whole (marginally) still prefer the Left's position. All Trump winning demonstrates is that the Electoral College weights the scales in favour of Republicans, and that Trump's campaign knew how to play that system.

2. It is disingenuous to insist that resentment of Left wing views on discrimination was the decisive issue, without providing any further evidence for that claim than the fact that the Democrats lost. The election was close enough that if any one of several factors had been slightly different, it might have changed the outcome, but a far more obvious explanation is that Hillary Clinton's personal baggage and lack of either credibility or charisma, combined with FBI sabotage on the email scandal shortly before election day, tipped the scales. It is also likely that economic arguments played a significant role.

And you know, the Right cannot have it both ways. You cannot claim at the same time that you're not bigoted, that Trump's support was not driven by bigotry, and then turn around and in the same breath argue that the election was a repudiation of the Left on the issue of race.

In any case, throwing the concerns of our female and minority supporters who rightly feel that they are still not treated equally would do us no good. We would lose more votes than we would gain by soothing the egos of insecure white conservatives.

Your argument is nothing more than a disingenuous attempt to silence the debate on social justice- exactly the sort of behaviour the Right loves to accuse those nasty "SJWs" of engaging in.

I will stop accusing those on the Right of bigotry when you stop either actively engaging in it or, in your case insisting that society turn a blind eye to it.

Edit: I will add, in fairness, that obviously not everyone who votes Republican/conservative/etc. is motivated simply, or even primarily, by bigotry.

However, they are choosing to side with bigots, for whatever reason. So at the very least, they are either in denial about the consequences of their actions, or demonstrating that they consider the persecution of women and minorities less important than whatever issues do motivate them. And if that's your position, then you have to own responsibility for that choice.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Rightists like yourself
:lol: I'm a slightly left-leaning libertarian, actually. But I know members of the regressive left consider anyone who isn't as far left as they are to be "right-wing", so whatever. ;)

are trying to push the narrative that the Left is irrelevant because we actually acknowledge that discrimination is still a major problem,
The problem is that the regressive left are pushing to normalize discrimination, just that it's their brand of discrimination.
and that if we want to win we need to just keep our mouths shut (i.e. concede that entire debate to you).
As someone who is very anti-censorship, no, that isn't the case. Just as with the alt-right and other people you want to shut up through violence, I believe you should be able to speak your minds, so everyone can see exactly what you're about and judge your ideas as they see fit.
1. Clinton actually won the popular vote, by nearly three million, although neither she nor Trump won an outright majority. Trump's victory says next to nothing about the collective sentiments of the American people, and if it says anything at all, its that the people as a whole (marginally) still prefer the Left's position. All Trump winning demonstrates is that the Electoral College weights the scales in favour of Republicans, and that Trump's campaign knew how to play that system.
You seem to be forgetting the important point there, which is how the Electoral College works and why it exists to begin with. Which is to say so that the states with lower population cannot be lead around as easily by the more populous states. So the reason Clinton lost is because she lost states, states that previously voted for Obama, I might add, in part because of how her campaign treated the people in those states and their concerns. When you brand everyone racists and sexists and use that as an excuse to brush off anything they might say, that's going to come back to bite you in the ass, and that's exactly what happened.

:roll: Not even going to bother with most of this.
Edit: I will add, in fairness, that obviously not everyone who votes Republican/conservative/etc. is motivated simply, or even primarily, by bigotry.

However, they are choosing to side with bigots, for whatever reason.
And moderates enable the other side. Image This is exactly what I'm talking about, btw, when it comes to how the working class was treated by the Clinton campaign, and contributed to her loss.
And if that's your position, then you have to own responsibility for that choice.
I am a very egalitarian person, so you're barking up the wrong tree there. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

The Macron win in France is a positive sign that Europe is moving on. En Marche! may not fill its parliamentary slate but I'd say the PS will be fairly cooperative in any coalition.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Continuing this decade's theme of election madness, British Columbia's election yesterday has had ridings won by as little as 7 votes, with one party literally 1 seat away from a majority. If the seat counts hold, the 3 seat Green Party may hold the balance of power in provincial parliament.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I still can't believe the French went for someone that basically told them they have to learn to live with terrorism being a commonplace thing. :lol: Well, their country, their problem.
-TR
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Admiral X wrote:I still can't believe the French went for someone that basically told them they have to learn to live with terrorism being a commonplace thing. :lol: Well, their country, their problem.
Source?

But... well, to be blunt, he's right, at least in the near-term.

It doesn't take a lot to pull of a small-scale, lone assailant terrorist attack. You don't need a bomb, or a gun, or training. Mass knife attacks are a thing. So is driving a truck into a crowd. All it takes is someone who is willing to use violence, and pay the price for doing so, for whatever ideology they hold.

That is not something you can absolutely prevent. You can do a lot to make it less likely- ranging from more investment in dealing with poverty, to better integration of immigrant communities, to better propaganda on social media, to better law enforcement/surveilance. But you cannot guarantee an end to terrorist attacks. If Macron acknowledged that, I commend him for being honest enough to say it, rather than promising the Moon to justify a bunch of authoritarian policies in the name of a security he cannot offer.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Admiral X wrote:I still can't believe the French went for someone that basically told them they have to learn to live with terrorism being a commonplace thing. :lol: Well, their country, their problem.
That's just incorrect. You may be thinking of what Prime Minister Manuel Valls said while announcing the three days of national mourning for the 2016 Bastille Day truck attack in Nice. It was in the context of national solidarity and not giving in to terrorism.
« La France ne cèdera pas à la menace. Nous avons changé d'époque, et la France devra vivre avec le terrorisme. Mais nous devons faire bloc, être solidaires »

We will not give in to the threat. Times have changed, and France is going to have to live with terrorism. But we must unite, in solidarity.
Maybe 'devra' wasn't quite what he should have said, but I'm not particularly offended when a politician suggests that terrorism can come from within, rather than always being an external threat.

And Macron had nothing to do with it at all.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Of course, this is just bog-standard Rightist agitation/propaganda- accuse anyone who's Centrist or Leftist, or just not a raging anti-Muslim/anti-refugee bigot, of being weak on terrorism.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

PerrySimm wrote:
That's just incorrect. You may be thinking of what Prime Minister Manuel Valls said while announcing the three days of national mourning for the 2016 Bastille Day truck attack in Nice. It was in the context of national solidarity and not giving in to terrorism.
« La France ne cèdera pas à la menace. Nous avons changé d'époque, et la France devra vivre avec le terrorisme. Mais nous devons faire bloc, être solidaires »

We will not give in to the threat. Times have changed, and France is going to have to live with terrorism. But we must unite, in solidarity.
Maybe 'devra' wasn't quite what he should have said, but I'm not particularly offended when a politician suggests that terrorism can come from within, rather than always being an external threat.

And Macron had nothing to do with it at all.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ound-looms

Macron told French radio: “This threat, this imponderable problem, is part of our daily lives for the years to come. I would like to express all my support for our police forces and more generally the forces of law and order. I am particularly thinking of the victim’s family.”
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

^Thanks. Though to be fair, the Mayor of London said much the same thing. The other notable thing Macron said was something along the lines of there being no such thing as French culture. And yet they elected him as their leader and describe him as a moderate. :lol:
-TR