Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Mexicans provide humanitarian aid to migrant caravan

Post by Yukaphile »

Europe has open borders. If there were less severe social problems in the Americas, we might have open borders too.

And you literally don't care that children are being gassed because "we have to uphold the law?" Which is merely a system of legal documents meant to prevent anarchy, not something that is necessarily moral. Try and understand why they're "storming" the border, because their lives are hell, and they think the US is like a dream they can escape. Some will accuse them of trying to "mooch" off of the US? Why shouldn't they be entitled to a piece of the pie given we've been handed everything on a silver platter, still complain about it, and they could arguably appreciate this country better than we do? Especially given how we've fucked up their countries. Yes, that was the government, not you or me, but I still feel bad about it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

That open border policy has not been doing Europe any favors, incidentally, other than making a minority of privileged bourgeois feel better about themselves.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What do you even mean? Open borders will help break down social and national barriers a lot easier than many other things. I hate our modern day tribes, and they've got to go, but... seems very impossible in today's climate.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

There's a difference between internal EU-borders, which are open and external EU-borders, which are not.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Guess you got a point.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 am What do you even mean? Open borders will help break down social and national barriers a lot easier than many other things.
You think that because?
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:20 am You are justifying the use of chemical weapons on children.
Jesus Fuzzy. It's not like we're staking kids to the ground and firing tear gas at them.

A few kids got caught in a cloud aimed at the overwhelmingly adult and male group of protesters trying to break through the fence. If you really draw your red line at "no children must ever be exposed to tear gas ever, regardless of circumstance," well, you're going to find the world a deeply unsatisfying place.

Again, there are thousands of refugees trying their hardest to comply with the legal process. They have been patiently waiting for weeks, even months, for their claims to be processed. Do you really approve of people trying to skip the line?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:20 am You are justifying the use of chemical weapons on children.
Yes, I am. Again, what alternatives are there, other than open borders? Send SEAL Team 6 in for a pillow fight? Have the National Guard hold up pictures of sad puppies? A big sign saying, "Sorry, we're closed?" A cowboy at the border, opening a toll booth?

Look, I understand not wanting to see people hurt. But people are bringing along those children in an attempt to storm the border. Some discomfort should be expected. If not hurting children to any degree is a hard and fast rule for you, hey, you have to be you.
President literally deployed more troops to the border than there were migrants in the caravan. You're telling me the only viable solution was to deploy broad-area dispersal chemical weapons? If "hoze them down with tear gas" is your first response to people trying to get in somewhere they aren't supposed to go, I'd hate to have you working security at a concert.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 pm
Yes, I am. Again, what alternatives are there, other than open borders? Send SEAL Team 6 in for a pillow fight? Have the National Guard hold up pictures of sad puppies? A big sign saying, "Sorry, we're closed?" A cowboy at the border, opening a toll booth?

Look, I understand not wanting to see people hurt. But people are bringing along those children in an attempt to storm the border. Some discomfort should be expected. If not hurting children to any degree is a hard and fast rule for you, hey, you have to be you.
President literally deployed more troops to the border than there were migrants in the caravan. You're telling me the only viable solution was to deploy broad-area dispersal chemical weapons? If "hoze them down with tear gas" is your first response to people trying to get in somewhere they aren't supposed to go, I'd hate to have you working security at a concert.
Should they work them over with their fists? Nice clubbing with rifle stocks? Or are you for martyring them through live fire? You justify the beating and murder of children?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Robovski wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 pm

Should they work them over with their fists? Nice clubbing with rifle stocks? Or are you for martyring them through live fire? You justify the beating and murder of children?
How did you even get that out of what I said? Did you see the final sentence?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville