The Brexit Election

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The Brexit Election

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Artabax wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:56 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:39 am Moral of this story: Don't piss off the electorate for three solid years.
USA Civil War: Republicans were the anti-slavery party and Democrats were pro-slavery. At some time the parties flipped.

Labour used to be the Peasant Party and Tories were the Aristo Party. Another flip???
I haven't heard of the Republicans endorsing slavery. :) Nor have I heard of a significant number of Republican politicians endorsing discrimination on the basis of race.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Republicans:
Slavery Bad -> Help Freedmen -> Small Government, Pro-Business -> Social Conservatism and the Southern Strategy -> Trumpish Populism?

Democrats:
Jacksonian Populism -> Slavery Party -> Jim Crow Party -> New Deal Coalition -> New Democrats (i.e. Bill Clinton) -> Social Democracy?
Last edited by TGLS on Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

TGLS wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:59 pm Republicans:
Slavery Bad -> Help Freedmen -> Small Government, Pro-Business -> Social Conservatism and the Southern Strategy -> Trumpish Populism?
To be honest, I think that's pretty fair as far as the GOP goes, with the question mark included. I don't know how much effect Trump has had on the shape of the party, especially as compared to, say, Reagan. Time will tell.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Democrats:
Jacksonian Populism -> Slavery Party -> Jim Crow Party -> New Deal Coalition -> New Democrats (i.e. Bill Clinton) -> Social Democracy
I really do not know the history of American politics so I am taking this list at its word: the Democrats seem to have done more overall harm throughout history than the Republicans.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Surprised to learn of similarities between Trump and Jackson when reading up on Jacksonian Democracy.
clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Democrats:
Jacksonian Populism -> Slavery Party -> Jim Crow Party -> New Deal Coalition -> New Democrats (i.e. Bill Clinton) -> Social Democracy
I really do not know the history of American politics so I am taking this list at its word: the Democrats seem to have done more overall harm throughout history than the Republicans.
Jackson's known as the worst president in history too.
..What mirror universe?
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:23 pmJackson's known as the worst president in history too.
Clearly you've never heard of James Buchanan, a man so terrible that his county has voted nearly straight-ticked Republican and has always voted Republican for POTUS in every single election ever since he left office.

His memorial is not so much a memorial as a testament to shame.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:57 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:23 pmJackson's known as the worst president in history too.
Clearly you've never heard of James Buchanan, a man so terrible that his county has voted nearly straight-ticked Republican and has always voted Republican for POTUS in every single election ever since he left office.

His memorial is not so much a memorial as a testament to shame.
I don't see it as a clear cut case. Though I've merely heard of him as a contender, a lot of people indeed have cited Jackson as one that comes to mind in premier fashion. At worst he'd be equivalent to the person who has been nominated for the most Oscars while also not having won one.

Perhaps known is bit of a strong word to employ. I meant it in terms of regards among people.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Democrats.
The first three for the Democrats really weigh them down. I am neglecting the Bourbon Democrats here, but the prestige the Reps won with the Civil War and the Solid South make them less relevant in something like this. LBJ is left out too, and so are the wilderness years between 1968 and 1992, and I did leave the question mark off of Social Democracy (forgot). Of course, comparing the parties directly across history is like trying to compare the 1840s Conservative Party with the 2010s Conservative Party.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

TGLS wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Democrats.
The first three for the Democrats really weigh them down. I am neglecting the Bourbon Democrats here, but the prestige the Reps won with the Civil War and the Solid South make them less relevant in something like this. LBJ is left out too, and so are the wilderness years between 1968 and 1992, and I did leave the question mark off of Social Democracy (forgot). Of course, comparing the parties directly across history is like trying to compare the 1840s Conservative Party with the 2010s Conservative Party.
And don't forget Ross Perot. It would be unfair to discount his service among the Republicans.
..What mirror universe?