Joe Biden defense thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Joe Biden defense thread

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:01 am Even though I'd probably do an exaggerated slow walk to get the bucket if he was on fire, he has some pretty appealing actual policies. His Violence Against Women Act approach looks great, especially the attention it pays to supporting traditionally exploited and vulnerable Native women and LBTQ women.
Yeah, there are SOME reasons to vote for him than just not being the other guy... Still gritting my teeth while doing it.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:01 am Even though I'd probably do an exaggerated slow walk to get the bucket if he was on fire, he has some pretty appealing actual policies. His Violence Against Women Act approach looks great, especially the attention it pays to supporting traditionally exploited and vulnerable Native women and LBTQ women.
Yeah, there are SOME reasons to vote for him than just not being the other guy... Still gritting my teeth while doing it.
I want more than just Mr. Biden blowing off the allegations, however. Claiming that it's all false is a republican talking point, with pretty much the same rationale, that they find the timing convenient, and all that other junk. But again, we can't bring this to court with an impartial jury because he is a powerful public figure, and that's bad PR. Plus ask yourself with all those policy positions, how many will he actually be able to accomplish? I'm betting not that much.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:56 amPlus ask yourself with all those policy positions, how many will he actually be able to accomplish? I'm betting not that much.
Well it's hardly just Joe Biden people are hoping to toss out of office. Mitch "Putin's Bitch" McConnell and the whole Republican party can go rot and die in a dark corner for all I care about them. The Filibuster is dead? Fine, lets get 50 seats, the Presidency, and enact whatever the fuck we want to, and let them rot in their corner screaming.

See, the argument "well Republicans are going to try and shoot everything down so why bother to try" has a flip side. And that flip side is "the Republicans do not want to be part of a successful and stable government. They would rather have our country fail than see it succeed if they're not in charge. That makes them traitors to America, and the only thing to do is throw every single traitor out of office."

In other words, it's a damn good argument for a party vote. Which, for the first time ever in 2020, I'm strongly thinking of doing.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

GreyICE wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:29 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:56 amPlus ask yourself with all those policy positions, how many will he actually be able to accomplish? I'm betting not that much.
Well it's hardly just Joe Biden people are hoping to toss out of office. Mitch "Putin's Bitch" McConnell and the whole Republican party can go rot and die in a dark corner for all I care about them. The Filibuster is dead? Fine, lets get 50 seats, the Presidency, and enact whatever the fuck we want to, and let them rot in their corner screaming.

See, the argument "well Republicans are going to try and shoot everything down so why bother to try" has a flip side. And that flip side is "the Republicans do not want to be part of a successful and stable government. They would rather have our country fail than see it succeed if they're not in charge. That makes them traitors to America, and the only thing to do is throw every single traitor out of office."

In other words, it's a damn good argument for a party vote. Which, for the first time ever in 2020, I'm strongly thinking of doing.
If you can establish that the Republicans do not want to be part of a successful and stable government, it's a good argument. Otherwise, it's just an excuse.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Mr. Biden's gaffes make him his own worst enemy. Putting aside my own biases, if he got a few debate coaches, and speech coaches, then he could easily clean up his act. Mr. 45 is weak on the economy with COVID-19. It's an area he can easily hit him hard on. I'm sure Mr. 45 would bring up the stimulus he gave the economy to help it recover, but most do hold him accountable, I feel. Mr. Biden just needs a strong counterattack position. But there is a lot of ammo they have on Mr. Biden that's gonna have to account for. And like I said, I wanna see more from him than suspiciously similar republican talking points. Like how the allegations are flase.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm afraid that's not something you're going to get, Crimson. You do have the option to vote for a watered-down Lord Behlen, who is a stronger option mainly because there is absolutely nobody in the field with the ethics of Lord Harrowmont.

TBH, how much Biden can actually get done depends on how the downballot voting goes, so if you want him to help out your dear sick mother, you should probably try to help flip some congress seats. Also don't forget about Governor and state reps. They have a lot more power than we think about to decide who lives and who dies whatever the feds say, as this Covid19 Crisis has shown us.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:54 amIf you can establish that the Republicans do not want to be part of a successful and stable government, it's a good argument. Otherwise, it's just an excuse.
Well lets see, they literally shut down the government multiple times during Obama's last term in office (something that had some pretty devastating effects). They were obstructionist for the sake of being obstructionist. At one point they refused to seat the Supreme Court justice who they recommended out of sheer spite. For a year.

So yes, I will simply vote "the most likely candidate who is not Republican" until every current office holder and everyone who supports the current office holders is out of Politics. Because that is literally the game the Republican party has chosen to play.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

GreyICE wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:58 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:54 amIf you can establish that the Republicans do not want to be part of a successful and stable government, it's a good argument. Otherwise, it's just an excuse.
Well lets see, they literally shut down the government multiple times during Obama's last term in office (something that had some pretty devastating effects). They were obstructionist for the sake of being obstructionist. At one point they refused to seat the Supreme Court justice who they recommended out of sheer spite. For a year.

So yes, I will simply vote "the most likely candidate who is not Republican" until every current office holder and everyone who supports the current office holders is out of Politics. Because that is literally the game the Republican party has chosen to play.
You do remember the government shutdown during the Trump administration over immigration, right? Does that mean that democrats are unwilling to be part of a successful and stable government?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Ignores entire post to focus on one point he thinks he can pull a "gotcha" on.

'kay fam, have fun with that. I'll make fun of you. Clown.

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Trump's wall is seen is as irresponsible. Reducing it down to partisan immigration is a bit of a red herring
Power laces... alright.