Politics of the British Isles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Politics of the British Isles

Post by TGLS »

Your arguments are fair enough so I went back to revise.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Admiral X wrote::lol: Yeah, communists are all about the civil rights.
Putin is not a communist. No, it is not the 1950s, and "Russia" and "communist" are not interchangeable terms.

Edit: As to the question of what I mean by "fascist"... well, perhaps UKIP could more precisely be described as "neo-fascist" or "pseudo-fascist", but its a Right wing xenophobic nationalist party seeking to return its nation to some idealized past glory. That's a pretty strong overlap with what defines the fascist/Nazi world view.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Putin is not a communist. No, it is not the 1950s, and "Russia" and "communist" are not interchangeable terms.

Edit: As to the question of what I mean by "fascist"... well, perhaps UKIP could more precisely be described as "neo-fascist" or "pseudo-fascist", but its a Right wing xenophobic nationalist party seeking to return its nation to some idealized past glory. That's a pretty strong overlap with what defines the fascist/Nazi world view.
Strong overlap, you need like a million other things for Nazism.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

Admiral X wrote: I find it somewhat laughable that there seems to be as much excuse-making for communism as there is, as if it's just a case of no one doing it quite right yet.
Relevant.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Putin is not a communist.
I never claimed he was.
No, it is not the 1950s, and "Russia" and "communist" are not interchangeable terms.
And? Do you have some kind of a point here that somehow makes up for the point that communism has killed millions more than even Hitler managed to?
ScreamingDoom wrote:
Admiral X wrote: I find it somewhat laughable that there seems to be as much excuse-making for communism as there is, as if it's just a case of no one doing it quite right yet.
Relevant.
-TR
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

I'm reminded of Stéphane Dion's tilt at the windmills in 2008, but Jeremy Corbyn is still making a few campaign pledges here and there, including £6.7 billion for education.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Admiral X wrote:
Putin is not a communist.
I never claimed he was.
Sure looked like you were, in the context.
No, it is not the 1950s, and "Russia" and "communist" are not interchangeable terms.
And? Do you have some kind of a point here that somehow makes up for the point that communism has killed millions more than even Hitler managed to?[/quote]

My point was that Russia is not in any way communist any more, and I'm tired of people acting like it is. Do you have a point behind randomly bringing up "BUT COMMUNISM IS WORSE THAN THE NAZIS!"?

Its not a fucking contest. And in my experience, those who rush to point out how "communism is worse" are often also those who want to send the message "Hitler was better."
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Hitler vs Stalin? Pretty much a push* as to who was the bigger monster.

*I really struggled to not make that putsch.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Sure looked like you were, in the context.
I never even brought up Putin. I was just laughing at the idea that communists were in any way better than fascists when it comes to civil rights.
My point was that Russia is not in any way communist any more, and I'm tired of people acting like it is. Do you have a point behind randomly bringing up "BUT COMMUNISM IS WORSE THAN THE NAZIS!"?
My point was that communists aren't real big on civil rights and its laughable to claim they're better than fascists on that point.
Its not a fucking contest.
Yeah, because if it was, communism would definitely win the contest on political ideology that has killed and oppressed the most people.
And in my experience, those who rush to point out how "communism is worse" are often also those who want to send the message "Hitler was better."
:lol: Only to someone who sees fascists everywhere.
-TR