The Straight Pride Parade

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Straight Pride Parade

Post by Yukaphile »

Yes indeed.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 pm How is being proud to be Irish significant? That's accident of birth. Unless you changed your citizenship. Then that would be more logical.
That's the point, Yukaphile. The regressives say they object to a straight pride parade because straight people don't need one. They don't object to a St. Patrick's Day parade or the Doo Dah Parade or any number of other parades that people also don't need.

So it sounds to me that "straights don't need a parade" is not the real reason for the objections.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 pm @clearspira You've obviously never met the anti-SJW right of center crowd.
The word sjw is used in the same way the left uses the word Nazi, it has lost all meaning.
I try to not use it anymore. I do fail as sometimes you do hear someone in which no other descriptor applies. And I guess that applies the other way too.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, I tend to think a pride parade only makes sense in that gays were ostracized for so long, and to overcome their inherent challenges. Past that, there's nothing more logical than being proud for being straight or gay, imo.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Pride parades were the gateway to acceptance, see.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Rasp wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:35 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:21 pm
They get it.
Yeah Yeah I know they're arguing in bad faith but I had to try ya know?

I'm no stranger to being trolled especially on here but I dunno. I feel like I gotta try at least once. Call it trying desperately to see the good in people.
So we are arguing in bad faith and are bad people, because we point out a logically flawed arguement. If that is your definition of trolling, then I sure am glad to be a troll, because at night, it's colder than outside. :roll:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

pilight wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:02 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:29 pm How is being proud to be Irish significant? That's accident of birth. Unless you changed your citizenship. Then that would be more logical.
Sexual orientation is also an accident of birth
Actually this has become known to be a bit misleading, scientifically speaking.
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:24 pm
How so?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:35 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:24 pm
How so?
Okay, so there was an article I read a few years back that talked about a study that pointed towards homosexuality not being a neurological part of the brain, specifically one that you're born with. That or probably of course no evidence pointing towards. I might be able to find it for speculation, just that I'm not really sure what to search for. I do remember them musing that Lady Gaga's Born This Way isn't technically accurate.

While the prevalence of such a condition would probably help in favor of civil rights issues (or worsen them in some considerations), I don't think it very much weighs on the ethics of things, which the article also pointed out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 395035001/
..What mirror universe?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 pm Do regressives protest St. Patrick's Day parades because the Irish don't need a parade?
That's actually a very bad example because the Irish had to face decades of persecution to receive mainstream acceptance in America.