Politics of the British Isles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Politics of the British Isles

Post by Antiboyscout »

You do realize that in order for Labor to form a majority coalition they would need to ally with EVERY OTHER THIRD PARTY including UKIP and DUP.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm envisioning a scenario where May's coalition falls apart and there's another election, in which case, I think Corbyn probably wins, now that his own party has realized he can actually win so maybe stop with the backstabbing?

Edit: Also, did UKIP actually win any seats? They hadn't when I went to sleep last night, I don't think. Zero seats means they matter not at all when it comes to forming coalitions.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

That works under the assumption that the Tories learned nothing from the election. The major factor in the loss was from arrogant stupidity from the Conservatives not really anything appealing from Labor. If you even mention the words "fully costed" I will smack you.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Antiboyscout wrote:That works under the assumption that the Tories learned nothing from the election. The major factor in the loss was from arrogant stupidity from the Conservatives not really anything appealing from Labor. If you even mention the words "fully costed" I will smack you.
No need to be an ass.

If they're still being lead by May, I doubt they'll do much better. And Corbyn will also be in a stronger position than last time around, as I said.

I don't know enough about the other Con leadership options they might have to speculate on how they might fare with different leadership.

Also, just because you don't find them appealing doesn't mean that the voters all feel the same way. Corbyn apparently got very high turnout from young voters who usually don't vote- that suggests that he had something to actively appeal to them to get them off their asses.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:. Corbyn apparently got very high turnout from young voters who usually don't vote- that suggests that he had something to actively appeal to them to get them off their asses.
Is it because they found him appealing or found May/the Tories so unappealing? Unless I'm mistaken, the only party that ever really stands a chance against the Tories is Labour, so for anyone who wants to see the Torries ousted from No. 10, the best vote is for Labour.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

I suppose.

I guess we'll see if Labour's new gains are more than a one-off if there's another election soon.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Corbyn exceeds expectations yet again, and the polls once again prove useless in measuring a populace basically impossible to consistently get a hold of.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

PerrySimm wrote:Corbyn exceeds expectations yet again, and the polls once again prove useless in measuring a populace basically impossible to consistently get a hold of.
I'm sure at least part of this is either from how the polls are conducted (as in, who made up the sample population, the questions asked, and the statistical analysis used), and/or people just straight-up lying about how they're going to vote due to the current political climate thanks to the "tolerant" left.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

I mean, you have to get the attention of a representative sample of voters in a population. It used to be pretty reliable you could get someone to pick up a ringing phone. Now... not so much.

If you ever wanted to get back to those days of the reasonable quality poll, what is the communications method that you do that with?

Mail? E-mail? Internet polling? Self selection bias.
Telephone? Skews into demographics that don't screen their calls.

People with clipboards at train stations? Hmmm, maybe... if folks weren't shut in with their Netflix all day...
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
The Romulan Republic
Captain

So, anyone else see the video of PM May getting chased away from a church by an angry crowd after the high-rise fire? Nothing violent as far as I could tell, fortunately, but the crowd was chanting "coward" while she ran with her tail between her legs.