The Brexit Election

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Brexit Election

Post by clearspira »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:08 am I'm curious to see what happens to Labour after the 2020 party election. I haven't really seen much indication that they're going to do a course-correction after this drubbing. In Twitter they seem to be more concerned with decrying voters as deplorable, but that's Twitter.

There's a good chance that Brexit (and Corbyn) will be a done deal by the time of the next general election, so maybe they'll count on that to move votes back to Labour.
As far as I have seen they seem more interested voting in a woman rather than voting in someone capable of taking out Johnson. Theresa May proved very well that your genitals do not determine if you are a great leader or not and yet too many still think that if they play identity politics then they will win a cavalcade of votes.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Apparently people with more right wing agendas are getting their way as of late with huge support, over here in Egypt despite the Muslim Brotherhood being exposed as not having the entire population's good in mind and that Morsi could have been a worse dictator than Mubarak, there's been a growing support of the Brotherhood in the wake of the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of both Morsi and his son as well as the current regime's poor handling of freedom of press that involved criticizing the regime.

France seems to be one of the few countries not going through that phase with the right wing party getting their butts kicked at the last election.
Last edited by BBally81 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:23 am
Robovski wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:59 am Don't worry, now he gets to try to keep hold of Scotland while executing the Brexit and afterwards. Should be fun over the next 5 years or until the next election. Plenty of opportunity to be there in charge as the former empire continues to burn.
There really is nothing holding him to a referendum with the majority he has. People can say ''democracy'' as much they like, but it is not as if the SNP cares all that much about that either. I would be surprised if the UK breaks up Scotland side in the next 5 years.
Ditto. It really does smack of "keep having votes until we get the result I want" in any case.

Personally I'd quite like to see the UK look more like a federation.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BBally81 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:28 pm Apparently people with more right wing agendas are getting their way as of late with huge support, over here in Egypt despite the Muslim Brotherhood being exposed as not having the entire population's good in mind and that Morsi could have been a worse dictator than Mubarak, there's been a growing support of the Brotherhood in the wake of the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death of both Morsi and his son as well as the current regime's poor handling of freedom of press that involved criticizing the regime.

France seems to be one of the few countries not going through that phase with the right wing party getting their butts kicked at the last election.
They were defeated but I don't know ''butt kicked'' is accurate. LePenn still made second place. In a country that is NOT a two party system that actually is not a bad result. I will be interested to see if the fallout from the Yellow Jacket riots hits him next time.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:29 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:23 am
Robovski wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:59 am Don't worry, now he gets to try to keep hold of Scotland while executing the Brexit and afterwards. Should be fun over the next 5 years or until the next election. Plenty of opportunity to be there in charge as the former empire continues to burn.
There really is nothing holding him to a referendum with the majority he has. People can say ''democracy'' as much they like, but it is not as if the SNP cares all that much about that either. I would be surprised if the UK breaks up Scotland side in the next 5 years.
Ditto. It really does smack of "keep having votes until we get the result I want" in any case.

Personally I'd quite like to see the UK look more like a federation.
Brexit has hastened it, but i think the UK itself is obsolete in its current form. It was set up to be England centric 300 years ago and has never changed. What has changed is people.

I think a radical way to save the UK (I doubt it will happen) would be to disband the Lords and turn it into something like the US senate where Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland is given an equal voice to England as opposed to the minor one they currently have in Commons.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

The problem with doing that is that it would clash with the significant differences in population. England is far and away the largest population - as has often been pointed out why give Scotland the same say as the whole of England and not, say, Yorkshire, which has about the same population. That's why I lean towards the federal model, with overall national issues hopefully being things that have enough common interest that there won't be too many distinctions between the constituent countries.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The people who set up the U.S. congress faced a similar problem, and compromised by giving each state an equal vote in one branch of congress and going by population in the other branch. And, for a while anyway, a lot of government being at the state level.

We haven't patented it, to the best of my knowledge.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm The people who set up the U.S. congress faced a similar problem, and compromised by giving each state an equal vote in one branch of congress and going by population in the other branch. And, for a while anyway, a lot of government being at the state level.

Wouldn't touch the US system with a barge pole. It was designed to maintain slavery in the south, and the only way to do that was through tyranny of the minority and the paralysation of government.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Mindworm wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:44 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 pm The people who set up the U.S. congress faced a similar problem, and compromised by giving each state an equal vote in one branch of congress and going by population in the other branch. And, for a while anyway, a lot of government being at the state level.

Wouldn't touch the US system with a barge pole. It was designed to maintain slavery in the south, and the only way to do that was through tyranny of the minority and the paralysation of government.
LOL! References needed.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Coronavirus: Boris Johnson moved to intensive care as symptoms worsen

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52192604
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox