"Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: "Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows"

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:45 pm That's why we have the ability to make Amendments!
Or I mean just declare a new constitution. If enough people agree to it the old constitution doesn't matter because without the belief of the people the constitution is just a piece of paper.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Why go through all that work when we can just amend the existing one?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

The biggest problem with a new constitution is that the people in charge of writing it would be the same people who are sitting in congress right now. It would likely never get done and if it did nobody would be happy with it.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:58 pm Why go through all that work when we can just amend the existing one?
Because that method is actually significantly easier than the actual ammendment process which can be held up by 17 state legislatures who may represent less than 10% of the population are may not even represent a majority of thier state due to gerrymandering. Through the actual process you could theoretically have 95% of the nation for something, but still not be able to pass an amendment.
pilight wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:06 pm The biggest problem with a new constitution is that the people in charge of writing it would be the same people who are sitting in congress right now. It would likely never get done and if it did nobody would be happy with it.
Not neccessary, if somebody wrote a new constitution and enough people favored that constitution of the current one then it doesn't matter what congress says they have now power.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BBally81 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:44 pm
youtu.be/6nl_W4_CH4o
I only realised when I watched this that Supreme Court Justice is a job FOR LIFE. And I thought you guys went to war against people who advocated for kings and queens? Seriously, how does that have a place in a democracy?

The Double Toasted boys are also very much correct about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If she had quit before Trump came to office then Obama actually could have replaced her with someone of similar ideals. But again, that's the problem with A JOB FOR LIFE. You get old people working on long after they should be there.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 am
youtu.be/6nl_W4_CH4o
I only realised when I watched this that Supreme Court Justice is a job FOR LIFE. And I thought you guys went to war against people who advocated for kings and queens? Seriously, how does that have a place in a democracy?

The Double Toasted boys are also very much correct about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If she had quit before Trump came to office then Obama actually could have replaced her with someone of similar ideals. But again, that's the problem with A JOB FOR LIFE. You get old people working on long after they should be there.
Ah, but they hated democracy more. They wanted a system by and for rich land owners and no one else.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 am
youtu.be/6nl_W4_CH4o

It's SUPPOSED to make them influence-resistant. Fewer interests to answer to if your position is secure... I think...
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Also, another note many of the "pro-life" people act like they are the majority even though polls show the majority of Americans support pro-choice more.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

A relatively small proportion of Americans want to go back to the days where abortions were illegal and highly dangerous. Those that do regard abortion as murder and are unwilling to condone it no matter what other consequences follow.

The difficulty of achieving consensus is a large part of why people were willing to put up with the bullshit power play of inventing new Constitutional rights even though the result was unstable and could be turned against them. Also, people in politics never quite seem capable of understanding that their control over the system is less than perfect and their opponents will eventually gain an upper hand.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BBally81 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:35 pm Also, another note many of the "pro-life" people act like they are the majority even though polls show the majority of Americans support pro-choice more.
The problem is that ''pro-life'' actually means multiple things. It isn't the black and white ''us vs them'' issue that its made out to be. For example, you can be pro-abortion but want time limits. In Britain for example the abortion limit is set at 24 weeks because up until then a baby is just a clump of cells. But correct me if I am wrong, there are states where abortion was/is legal right up until birth, at which point... its a god damn human being with thoughts and feelings and anyone who aborts a baby at that stage is a murderer as far as I am concerned.

That's why this is a controversial subject. Its a lot more complicated than ''lets make life hard for women.'' Hopefully you end up with something better than Roe V Wade when is all said and done - something British.