San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

TGLS wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:58 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:56 pm The Left do not have institutional power even though you have a Left wing government with a Left wing controlled Senate that trades drug-dealing lesbian basketball stars for violent arms dealers? I can REALLY see the latter happening under Trump. Yep. Totally. :lol:
Yeah, because the Russians would never arbitrarily arrest somebody. And they'd never trade political prisoners for their foreign agitators. And Republicans are so homophobic they'd leave Americans to rot in the Gulag instead of attempting to do something.
It's either blame the online American liberals or blame Americans period. That's basically the only two avenues you can follow.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:52 am Problem is something as simple as freedom of speech and how it's interpreted. That is what drives that wedge between right and left. Left for example and would be about you can say something but doesn't protect you against repercussions. Whereas the right would say you should be able to say anything without repercussions.
No, leftists would say anything that offends a lot of people should be prohibited, and rightists would say that anything involving people speaking as a group should be stopped.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Frustration wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:46 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:52 am Problem is something as simple as freedom of speech and how it's interpreted. That is what drives that wedge between right and left. Left for example and would be about you can say something but doesn't protect you against repercussions. Whereas the right would say you should be able to say anything without repercussions.
No, leftists would say anything that offends a lot of people should be prohibited, and rightists would say that anything involving people speaking as a group should be stopped.
So Democrats are right-wing because they oppose Citizens United, while Republicans are left-wing because they're getting offended by drag-queen story hour?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

TGLS wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:59 pm So Democrats are right-wing because they oppose Citizens United, while Republicans are left-wing because they're getting offended by drag-queen story hour?
Oh no, everyone seems to enthusiastically support the silencing and disenfranchisement of people whose positions they detest.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Frustration wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:46 pm
I think I hear you on this.

I wouldn't say that "offending someone" is the right way to put it, but something that's "agreeably offensive" should take with it serious consideration/implication upon the person saying it. And yeah that balances with rightists treating civil society more like a machine or a snake without a head.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:36 amI wouldn't say that "offending someone" is the right way to put it, but something that's "agreeably offensive" should take with it serious consideration/implication upon the person saying it. And yeah that balances with rightists treating civil society more like a machine or a snake without a head.
Leftists are generally more likely to think that the rights of an individual ought not take precedence over the preferences of a group, while Rightists tend to ignore harms that impact people generally rather than acutely affect individuals.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Frustration wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:47 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:36 amI wouldn't say that "offending someone" is the right way to put it, but something that's "agreeably offensive" should take with it serious consideration/implication upon the person saying it. And yeah that balances with rightists treating civil society more like a machine or a snake without a head.
Leftists are generally more likely to think that the rights of an individual ought not take precedence over the preferences of a group, while Rightists tend to ignore harms that impact people generally rather than acutely affect individuals.
I think you're more referring to leftists following western power social dynamics which frames society under a dominant / minorities spectrum. It's not really the group, but the power of the people committing the action. That power will take the form of corporate standards or long held norms. Generally your position defines you and your ideas (which isn't particularly exclusive to the left, but distinct for its outcome/outlet for human catharsis).

And yeah, rightists have a business professional standard that overlays for general socio conservative norms. Otherwise are just libertarian and about ironically a-political.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:50 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:42 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:38 am
hammerofglass wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:12 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:52 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:11 am
Frustration wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm Although logically there doesn't need to be any connection between political affiliation and other traits, researchers have found consistent patterns between personality and politics.

At least in the US, 'leftists' tend to believe responsibility and power rest outside of the individual, while 'rightists' tend to believe in individual power and responsibility. In both cases, regardless of the facts of a given situation.

It's not surprising that leftists would tend to take power away from individuals in favor what is 'supposed' to be a collective response.
Collective power means that most individuals gain significantly more power than they have now as most power is held by a small number of individuals. The vast majority of people currently have nearly no power only the option to vote between the kill you fast party and the kill you not as fast party.
In simplistic terms under that simplistic narrow view of things, being on the left is about the collective. Everyone getting their fair shake, everyone pays their fair share, etc. Right would be about the individual and their freedoms. Doing or saying anything under the law. Their level prosperity is their level of capability and drive.

Under simplistic terms.

Problem is something as simple as freedom of speech and how it's interpreted. That is what drives that wedge between right and left. Left for example and would be about you can say something but doesn't protect you against repercussions. Whereas the right would say you should be able to say anything without repercussions.
Disagree with that last point. The right thinks THEY PERSONALLY should be able to say anything without repercussions, but not the rest of us. If they believed everyone should be able to say anything they wouldn't be doing the book bannings and such.
No, McAvoy got it right the first time. You are living in a Grade-A echo chamber there.
You're projecting so hard I could use you for PowerPoint presentations.

You simp for "make it illegal to let children know racism or queer people exist" DeSantis every time his name gets mentioned on here, you know damn well what you stood up to be counted with.
Nope. Grade-A echo chamber. A world where the Left dances under silver moonlight with frolicking unicorns and the Right breathe fire and have red skin.

Also, are you going to respond to your absurd idea that the Left doesn't try to ban books? Or is it that you cannot, and deflecting towards DeSantis is the only weapon you have?
Dude, I live in a beet-red county. I probably talk to more conservatives IRL than you do. If you have any friends who aren't straight white guys they obviously don't trust you enough to confide in you.

I mean I took a shot for the ongoing "clearspira goes to whataboutism because he has no real argument" drinking game, what more do you want?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Seems like I am not the one detailing the thread, this time. So, to get mostly back on topic, the police haven't actually done anything wrong yet, if you assume the police will always do wrong, you will see everything they do as wrong, even if it is right.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:15 pm Seems like I am not the one detailing the thread, this time. So, to get mostly back on topic, the police haven't actually done anything wrong yet, if you assume the police will always do wrong, you will see everything they do as wrong, even if it is right.
They already cancelled the program after the massive public outcry.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.