Liveable Minimum Wages

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Liveable Minimum Wages

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

So, Ontario raised it's minimum wage to $14 an hour, and it is not causing massive layoffs, businesses fleeing the region, or other predicted economic doom and gloom. https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2018/01/ ... -hour.html

Funny
how
that
works.

And as a fringe benefit, we'll have a lot more people able to afford food, housing, medical care AND the odd small pleasure or tiny amounts of savings so they don't live one financial mishap away from utter destitution.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Liveable Minimum Wages

Post by Antiboyscout »

Give it a year... or don't. It doesn't really matter in the end.
Canada is soon going to age into upside-down land with more retirees than working people, so enjoy your $14 an hour before it gets taxed into oblivion in the coming years.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

A bulge on the population pyramid most western countries share.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

TGLS wrote:A bulge on the population pyramid most western countries share.
Yes, but Canada is second in line right after Japan (the economic standstill they face is a taste of things to come)
And the US does not (we have a double bulge, the boomers had enough kids to prevent collapse)
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

It's still a demographic system we need to address as the global population pyramid turns into a cylinder. We won't be able to swallow immigrants indefinitely.

I mean we have states with the same top heavy demographics, but they obsess over finding migrants, both within and abroad, in order to adjust their demographic pyramid and it really hasn't been working for them for the past twenty years. I suppose it's a lack of imagination, or the pressure from the US government to not deviate from Reaganomics too much or they'll cut a switch.
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:So, Ontario raised it's minimum wage to $14 an hour, and it is not causing massive layoffs, businesses fleeing the region, or other predicted economic doom and gloom. https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2018/01/ ... -hour.html

Funny
how
that
works.

And as a fringe benefit, we'll have a lot more people able to afford food, housing, medical care AND the odd small pleasure or tiny amounts of savings so they don't live one financial mishap away from utter destitution.
Wait why is medical care on this list? I thought that was one expense they didn't have to deal with because Canada is a modern nation.
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Think pharmaceuticals (still can be pricey even with generics) and dental, and glasses.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I will also give this time. Most of these types of things don't show signs until a bit later and actually shows them working initially because the economy hasn't caught up to it.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."