Government Shutdown, again

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Government Shutdown, again

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Gotta say, this time I'm taking the government shutdown with a degree of fatalistic chill and cynical amusement.

https://satwcomic.com/government-down
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Robovski
Captain

Re: Government Shutdown, again

Post by Robovski »

The world keeps on spinning even when Congress can't work out a budget. It's happened many times before.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

This is the first time when it's happened when the same party controls all three branches of the federal government though.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:This is the first time when it's happened when the same party controls all three branches of the federal government though.
That is kinda arbitrary. It requires 60 Senate votes to pass a budget. Rep. only have 54 seats. "Control" only requires 51 seats.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Actually only spending bills need 60 votes. The actual budget, that is the framework, can pass with simple majority. In 2009, in fact, we passed the budget with 48 votes (48-45).
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

And this one was turned down by many Republicans in the Senate...

While it might only need 60 votes, that means that in the other occasions the parties have all successfully corralled enough votes from the opposition to keep it open.

At the moment, the Majority won't even let the Minority ask for unanimous approval to pay for the armed forces (which was pretty much the first thing which happened in the 2013 government shutdown). This is the GOP snatching defeat from the jaws of victory again.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Paul Walker wrote:And this one was turned down by many Republicans in the Senate...
5, one of whom has brain cancer an did not vote.
Paul Walker wrote:While it might only need 60 votes, that means that in the other occasions the parties have all successfully corralled enough votes from the opposition to keep it open.

At the moment, the Majority won't even let the Minority ask for unanimous approval to pay for the armed forces (which was pretty much the first thing which happened in the 2013 government shutdown). This is the GOP snatching defeat from the jaws of victory again.
Not really. Public opinion is against the Dem.s on this. It was considered more important to keep the gov. open than to keep DACA.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Huh. That was shorter than I expected. =U
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Antiboyscout wrote: That is kinda arbitrary. It requires 60 Senate votes to pass a budget. Rep. only have 54 seats. "Control" only requires 51 seats.
They only have 51 seats, actually.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins