Politics of the British Isles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
PerrySimm
Captain

Politics of the British Isles

Post by PerrySimm »

Unionists no longer have majority control in the Northern Ireland Assembly. Brexit and scandal putting Ireland ahead of Lt. Commander Data's 2024 schedule for reunification?
Last edited by PerrySimm on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

Post by PerrySimm »

Also, Nicola Sturgeon will soon file for a second referendum on Scottish Independence, potentially round Robbie Burns Day 2019.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Re: International Elections and Politics (no US/UK)

Post by Fixer »

That's UK politics :) Probably worth a topic split.

Yes, the gist of the second referendum is that Scotland should be allowed a second choice as they thought that remaining in the UK would keep them in the EU. They were told by the EU that they did not qualify for a membership if they left, and could not use the Euro as a currency as the European central bank would not be a lender of last resort.

Likewise British Sterling would not be currency option either, as the Bank of England would likewise not be a LoLR either.

If Scotland leaves the UK now, it would be outside both the UK and the EU and have to apply.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... ave-apply/

Even if they succeed. They would be ceding more independence and control to the growing European state than the the British parliment which currently they have strong representation in, while having their own devolved parliament which is currently floundering on local issues like education.

Even if the political will is now there to leave now, the situation for making a successful independent Scotland is extremely poor. If it were to be attempted, it would be much better to attempt post Brexit when the prospects if not better than now, would at least be known.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Re: Politics of the British Isles

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't think I have ever seen any government in my life time so blatantly undermine its own nation's interests (barring perhaps proof that Trump is collaborating with Putin), than the British government's handling of Brexit.

And, hell, even Trump hasn't seriously endangered the country's territorial integrity and provoked secession attempts. Yet.
Dindu
Redshirt

Post by Dindu »

LOL, keep 'em coming, you keep making my day.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Dindu wrote:LOL, keep 'em coming, you keep making my day.
Do you actually have anything even remotely of substance to say, or have you decided to just follow me around harassing me with vaguely insulting (if they weren't so vapid) one-liners?
Dindu
Redshirt

Post by Dindu »

This post was a violation of rules 1 and 2.

1: There is no need for excessive language. Sure, we all love profanity, and that's fine. Just please make sure to structure actual thoughts that someone can respond to, rather than just see how many times you can say 'fuck' in one sentence.

2: We don't do personal attacks. This includes everything from someone's religion to their weight. If we see it, you will get warned. If you continue to do it, or we see that you have developed a grudge against someone and only respond to their posts to flame them, we will take steps to resolve the matter by force.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Reported.
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

I've been keeping a close eye on Northern Ireland, and am curious to see how these negotiations play out.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

As a Scot, I am ashamed to be part of Brexit.

At the moment, it looks like the EU would allow speedy entry to our country were it to declare its independence. Hopefully Nicola Sturgeon will plot a course which allows us to remain part of the European Union, whether or not it takes full independence. Theresa May's pretty much forced the issue by saying Scotland wouldn't be allowed to organise a way to stay in the single market. And she could win independence for us by telling our First Minister that she cannot hold the referendum. Then the FM would call foul, hold a consulting referendum (which is what Brexit was) and were it to win, she'd have the same mandate that the PM currently has to leave the EU.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."