The Brexit Election

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

The Brexit Election

Post by clearspira »

Admittedly this may look a bit silly if we don't get one in a few hours, but it now seems certain that Britain is going to an early election after the SNP and the Lib Dems agreed to the Tory proposals.

Will Boris be the shortest reigned PM in modern history? Will Brexit win or lose him the election? Interesting times my friends.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: The Brexit Election

Post by CmdrKing »

Haven’t found any articles summarizing the situation, but looks like folks are aiming for a mid-December election, with some quibbling over dates due to concerns of suppressing student votes.

Still, this was coming, it was a matter of if Johnson would be able to burn the country to the ground before getting it.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

And the farce goes on. That's what whole Brexit has been. One big farce without end in sight. Maybe they will end up solving it to one direction or other but I am not holding my breath.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Admittedly, I'm not expecting anything to change with an election. Sure, seats may be traded and the Brexit Party may sit in Parliament, but nobody is going to have a majority and tedium will continue.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

With all the postponements you might think there'd be progress toward UK-sourcing some medications that people are concerned about. But I might be acting on incomplete or erroneous information.

One thing, though -- next time Florida has trouble counting votes in an election, I expect some patience from across the pond. :)
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

12th of December - its on.

The way I see it:

If you want Brexit with a deal: Tory
If you want Brexit without a deal: Brexit Party
If you want a referendum: Labour
If you want to Remain: Liberal Democrats
If you want independence for Scotland: SNP
If you want to waste your vote: Green/UKIP

There will be other issues that they will TRY and discuss, but lets be honest: there is only one issue of the day that will dominate.

My prediction is hung parliament between the two main parties, but the real winners in their own way will be Brexit Party, Lib Dems and SNP who stand a good chance of cleaning up in the marginal seats.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

What marginal seats are left in Scotland. The SNP has no real appeal outside of Scotland and is already dominating Scotland.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Robovski wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:28 pm What marginal seats are left in Scotland. The SNP has no real appeal outside of Scotland and is already dominating Scotland.
Actually they took quite a hit in 2017 compared to their undisputed dominance in 2015.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BTW, I said earlier that he could be the shortest serving PM of all time... and that is no longer true. With the election on the 12th, he could be the third shortest serving PM of all time behind George Canning (April to August 1827) and Viscount Goderich (August 1827 to January 1828).
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

I am at a loss. Why the heck hasn't the EU been like "Ok, seriously guys...this is ridiculous. We don't even WANT you in our club any more. Just....just go."