[semi-rant]People are now stealing toilet paper...

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

[semi-rant]People are now stealing toilet paper...

Post by PapaPalpatine »

It was one thing when people were panic buying and hording it by the metric ton, but now they're stealing it too. STEALING TOILET PAPER. A national park in Michigan is starting to lock the bathrooms along their trails because people are smashing the dispensers and taking all the rolls. They're even stealing the hand soap. WTF? Do I really need to tell people that such things aren't worth going to jail for? And what's next? Breaking into people's homes to steal TP? Can't speak for the rest of the world, but in most states in the US, that's a great way to get shot. For fuck's sake, is the Beer Virus turning everyone into Cornholio?
Mecha82
Captain

Re: [semi-rant]People are now stealing toilet paper...

Post by Mecha82 »

This does make me wonder what is wrong with people in US. Only thing people in here have been buying out is hand sanitizer and no one is stealing those.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

A crisis will bring out the worst in some people.

But not in everybody.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/489477-new-yorkers-have-nearly-emptied-shelters-for-dogs-and-cats-after-a-surge
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Why TOILET PAPER?! Are they expecting it to be the main currency in the Mad Max Post-Apocalypse?! The sam hill?!
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

There have been a few break-in in my building where toilet and kitchen paper was stolen, along oddly general flu meds? But still, it's mob-mentality that's causing people to act this crazy.

And the source...MAN CURSES MAN!
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

You know, I was sort of lucky to notice that my supply was starting to run out back in February and bought a back.
I usually poop at work when possible so my ability to mentally time how much toilet paper I have has been disrupted.
I would appreciate it if people would stop buying it out at the grocery, you know, think of the community. Maybe stores take the logical step of limiting to 8 rolls or 1 pack per customer.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:57 pm Why TOILET PAPER?! Are they expecting it to be the main currency in the Mad Max Post-Apocalypse?! The sam hill?!
Have you ever had to live without it? After the apocalypse, there are two things everyone will want: 1) Weapons and ammunition. 2) Toilet Paper. King will be, who has both in spades.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I think people made a run on toilet paper, which caused other people to think (1) maybe the first group had reasons to hoard toiler paper and (2) if other people hoard toilet paper then I'd better make sure I get plenty before they get it all. So a fairly random fluctuation got magnified because, well, primate see, primate do.

Oddly enough, I suspect this may have been partially driven by just how stupid it was. Not that TP is useless, but there are more important things to hoard. Beans & ammo, for two. But because hoarding TP stood out for being nonsensical, more people heard about it, especially on social media. And the more people heard about it, the more magnified primate see, primate do got. I can't back that up with anything independent; it's just my suspicion.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

In some weird way that theory does make sense. After all to quote Agent K from MIB:"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it".
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

It has little to do with "dumb". A few people buy lots, because either they are scared or paranoid or just a prepper, this leaves less for the far larger number of normal people. Obviously the stock will be sold out at some rather-sooner-than-later point and the next time the normals go shopping, they'll buy two packages, instead of one, just in case because you do not want to end up with not having toilet paper. Now a larger number of people will buy more than they usually do, because, you know, just in case, which again leaves less for everyone still buying normal. Do you see a pattern emerge there? It's simple group-dynamics and on the individual level, it's smart behaviour. If you are confronted with not having access to something whenever you feel like, then you will create reserves. On the micro-level, this is absolutely sensible, it's the macro-level, where this behaviour becomes damaging. Dismissing this as dumb behaviour, just shows how little thought you actually put to things.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox