Trump Departs Washington

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

Trump Departs Washington

Post by phantom000 »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

Was I the only one expecting him to be dragged out by a SWAT team?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Trump Departs Washington

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I like CNN because it sticks to the cold hard facts.
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Isn't it call the creative new network
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought it was cartoon.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

phantom000 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

People like to think of Trump as stupid. But that is just a lie they tell themselves to make themselves feel better. ''An idiot leading idiots'' they like to to think. The truth is that whilst he knows shit about many, many different and varied things; he is an expert at manipulation and reading people. He's a businessman after all. That's part of the job description.

People forget/ignore, it wasn't just the ''build the wall'' types he went after in 2016, he went after the dispossessed. He went after the coal miners, steel workers and oil drillers who are seeing the green revolution steal their jobs. Her went after those who feel left behind by the 21st century. He went after those on the poverty line and then blamed Obama for all of their problems. It doesn't matter that his promises ultimately came to nothing. He was smart enough to see the people who hated the status quo option that was Hillary and he converted them over to his cause.

So... to get back to your question. Trump was never going to be dragged out of the White House. it was always better for him to rile his base right up until the last second and then leave with his head held high to continue his business elsewhere. If Trump goes on to make his own version of Twitter do not be surprised.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm really disappointed that he wasn't dragged out kicking, screaming, and soiling himself. That would have been something to warm my heart on cold lonely nights. :(
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:50 pm
phantom000 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:17 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

People like to think of Trump as stupid. But that is just a lie they tell themselves to make themselves feel better. ''An idiot leading idiots'' they like to to think. The truth is that whilst he knows shit about many, many different and varied things; he is an expert at manipulation and reading people. He's a businessman after all. That's part of the job description.

People forget/ignore, it wasn't just the ''build the wall'' types he went after in 2016, he went after the dispossessed. He went after the coal miners, steel workers and oil drillers who are seeing the green revolution steal their jobs. Her went after those who feel left behind by the 21st century. He went after those on the poverty line and then blamed Obama for all of their problems. It doesn't matter that his promises ultimately came to nothing. He was smart enough to see the people who hated the status quo option that was Hillary and he converted them over to his cause.

So... to get back to your question. Trump was never going to be dragged out of the White House. it was always better for him to rile his base right up until the last second and then leave with his head held high to continue his business elsewhere. If Trump goes on to make his own version of Twitter do not be surprised.
I think you over estamate his chances, he a bad business man. Seriously most of his assists lost money.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah, but that was part of his con. Declare bankruptcy, stiff your employees, and run off with money by betting against yourself through yourself.

I mean, he really is about as smart as a sack of hammers, but he's got a loathsome cunning streak.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:29 pm Yeah, but that was part of his con. Declare bankruptcy, stiff your employees, and run off with money by betting against yourself through yourself.

I mean, he really is about as smart as a sack of hammers, but he's got a loathsome cunning streak.
Yes, cunning it probably a better description as to what I was getting at. Like him or hate him, he saw openings and he exploited them well. I have to say that the more I read about the Rust Belt the more I can see why they supported him in 2016. Promises of a return to the glory days of oil and steel and coal must have been tempting and Hillary imo failed to see that danger. The problem is, despite what Trump claimed, the decline really has nothing to do with globalisation or immigrants - its has to do with automation and the green revolution. And that is not going anywhere, even if Trump managed two terms.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I am worry for the next trump