'An "Army of 16-Year-Olds" Takes On the Democrats'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

'An "Army of 16-Year-Olds" Takes On the Democrats'

Post by ProfessorDetective »

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1395045348335357956

Read: 'We're tired of the "left-wing" "progressive" party being center-right, unwilling to listen to their voter base and truly fight the MAGAs and the GOP.'

The kids are fed up and want some actual power to shape their country, finally realizing that neither side will give it to them. They are the DMC as more of a roadblock to proper progress than being any help, so they're trying to FORCE them to be helpful... and it seems to be working, at least in Mass. I can definitely relate and I'm as behind them as I can reasonably be, not living in their area.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: 'An "Army of 16-Year-Olds" Takes On the Democrats'

Post by Captain Crimson »

There's a reason the DNC doesn't listen to their progressive base, and it's not due to them just being tone-deaf, it's simply because you can't win elections in Ohio and Michigan by listening to these people. Policies such as defunding or abolishing police? Crackpot whackjobs in their liberal coastal bastions while the rest of the country toils. You wanna tackle an issue such as police reform, for example, we need to deal with the police unions that make culpability harder to pin down.

But something like CHAZ generated significant backlash and we can't ignore that drove significant POC into Mr. Trump's camp, even those who abhorred him, out of terror we were being turned into a Soviet nightmare with the police removed to protect our neighborhoods, which is always essential. These are young white kids who wouldn't know what to do if they ever met a black person, probably have a heart attack, trying to soothe their guilty conscience for the racism they themselves feel. You get an "army of sixteen-year-olds" in the Midwest or Florida, you let me know.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I remember when I was in high school.
..What mirror universe?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:20 pm I remember when I was in high school.
That sounds like an intro. So please tell.

On my side, I was a pretty ignorant fool when I was sixteen. Some things sounded pretty good then and now that I am older they seem rather daft. So not sure what to take on this.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nealithi wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:32 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:20 pm I remember when I was in high school.
That sounds like an intro. So please tell.
I think I come across pretentious enough when I field political discourse here, but most everybody is in the dark in high school. In college people either have too much tunnel vision for their own field to see past mainstream politics, they have structured thinking but aren't social, or are social and smart but end up in tight circles/families/ out of the riff raff we're in.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I really want to take a wiffle bat to whoever wrote that headline. -___-
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Listening to an army of teenagers is like listening to an army of Vulcans in pon farr. Even at that age I knew I was crazy from puberty.

Oh to raise the voting age to 25 or 30 when the prefrontal cortex is finally fully developed. I was never comfortable voting until I got into that age bracket.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I didn't vote until I was 21 myself, but if the voting age is raised, so too must the draft age and military participation age, I mean, if I'm not mature enough to vote, how can I reasonably be expected to be mature enough to volunteer to fight and die on some foreign soil huh?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I just hate how click-baity it sounds.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Also it kind of undermines the institutional development of the progressive establishment.
..What mirror universe?