Rittenhouse Trial Outcome - Protests Emerge

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Rittenhouse Trial Outcome - Protests Emerge

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/windows-smas ... 10074.html
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Law enforcement in Portland declared a riot Friday night as about 200 demonstrators protested the acquittal of a teen who killed two people and injured another in Wisconsin.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Rittenhouse Trial Outcome - Protests Emerge

Post by clearspira »

This is an argument about where your 1st amendment ends and your 2nd amendment begins. In a way, its also a test of the 5th, 6th and 7th too as these are there to settle such disagreements.

As Biden said: The jury came to a decision and he stands by it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The judge was blatantly acting as part of the defense and kept the jury from seeing most of the significant evidence. The trial was a complete sham.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:07 pm The judge was blatantly acting as part of the defense and kept the jury from seeing most of the significant evidence. The trial was a complete sham.
Agreed whatever the outcome ended up being the trial was going to be a circus either way.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Certainly could have done without the love-fest from the bench, but hey, at least the judicial bias allowed a child to shoot protestors for fun. The most positive thing I can say is knowing that they are open season for hunting by the right kind of people hasn't had any chilling effect on protestors.

Trial results like this are why I try to pace my consumption of news items and get them with a little comedy thrown in.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Pretty sure we will hear about this kid soon or later.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

He got away with multiple murders/planned homicides. I can't imagine why he'd ever be in the news again...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:07 pm The judge was blatantly acting as part of the defense and kept the jury from seeing most of the significant evidence. The trial was a complete sham.
The prosecution attempted to violate 5th Amendment right to remain silent by suggesting Rittenhouse invoking that right was evidence of guilt. They withheld evidence from the defense. They attempted to suborn perjury from at least one of their witnesses. They tried to introduce embargoed evidence without the judge's approval. It is arguable that the judge was rather tolerant of the prosecution's bad behavior.

The prosecution had a bad case, and did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Their own witnesses kept blowing up their theory of the defendant's guilt. You wanted a verdict that upheld your political views of the world, how very Cardassian of you.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 am
The prosecution attempted to violate 5th Amendment right to remain silent by suggesting Rittenhouse invoking that right was evidence of guilt. They withheld evidence from the defense. They attempted to suborn perjury from at least one of their witnesses. They tried to introduce embargoed evidence without the judge's approval. It is arguable that the judge was rather tolerant of the prosecution's bad behavior.

The prosecution had a bad case, and did not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Their own witnesses kept blowing up their theory of the defendant's guilt. You wanted a verdict that upheld your political views of the world, how very Cardassian of you.
The "political view" that cold blooded murderers who openly boast about their crimes should not be let off on the pretext that it's self defense if the people you're shooting at looked scared? That embargoing all the important evidence to get your pet terrorist off is a gross miscarriage of justice? Just... any respect for rule of law? Sure.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 am
So I'm in the process of checking on this stuff, just as I'm not very acquainted with the procedure of the trial at all. None of the less this sounds interesting as part of the goings on, and I'll try to see what I can make of it.
The prosecution attempted to violate 5th Amendment right to remain silent by suggesting Rittenhouse invoking that right was evidence of guilt.
They withheld evidence from the defense.
They attempted to suborn perjury from at least one of their witnesses.
They tried to introduce embargoed evidence without the judge's approval. It is arguable that the judge was rather tolerant of the prosecution's bad behavior.
Power laces... alright.