SpaceX in financial trouble

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

SpaceX in financial trouble

Post by clearspira »

https://eu.statesman.com/story/business ... 825474002/

So here's an interesting one: SpaceX is facing bankruptcy if it cannot launch a spaceship full of paying customers at least every two weeks. Which it currently is not doing.

And this should not be surprising. Space flight is currently only for the super rich. As in, even a low millionaire does not have the money.

https://www.space.com/tom-hanks-says-no ... ace-launch

Here is Tom Hanks revealing that he turned down the spaceflight that William Shatner went on as he would have had to spend $28 million for the privilege. Even for Hanks that isn't pocket change (which also shows you just how rich Shatner is but I digress).
Once you run out of super rich people then you have run out of customers.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Re: SpaceX in financial trouble

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:24 pm https://eu.statesman.com/story/business ... 825474002/

So here's an interesting one: SpaceX is facing bankruptcy if it cannot launch a spaceship full of paying customers at least every two weeks. Which it currently is not doing.

And this should not be surprising. Space flight is currently only for the super rich. As in, even a low millionaire does not have the money.
A few things:
1) They're having production problems with this big new rocket that's aiming to get the price per pound to orbit down a lot.
2) There's more than people in terms of cargo. One of the other advantages of getting the big rocket working is that it will make it cheaper to set up satellite internet.
clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:24 pmEven for Hanks that isn't pocket change (which also shows you just how rich Shatner is but I digress).
I think it has more to do with Shatner being over 90 years old.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Good to see another of Elon's bad ideas failing. Shame it was propped up with so much government money though.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pmA few things:
1) They're having production problems with this big new rocket that's aiming to get the price per pound to orbit down a lot.
That's not quite correct. What they are having troubles with is, producing enough engines to meet their deadlines, namely the "Raptor"-variant. Hardly surprising, given they somehow thought they can magic up one such engine per day by this time... But hey, just another Elon Musk pipe-dream going up in flames. Or rather, not going up in flames this time around.
TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pm2) There's more than people in terms of cargo. One of the other advantages of getting the big rocket working is that it will make it cheaper to set up satellite internet.
Oh right, Elon's personal Kessler Syndrome waiting to happen to carry his name into the caged-onto-Earth future of mankind. I ain't bothered by that particular project failing.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

It's almost like privatizing the space industry was a bad idea that just lets the richest man in the world steal billions of dollars from the American Public.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:04 am
TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pmA few things:
That's not quite correct. What they are having troubles with is, producing enough engines to meet their deadlines, namely the "Raptor"-variant. Hardly surprising, given they somehow thought they can magic up one such engine per day by this time... But hey, just another Elon Musk pipe-dream going up in flames. Or rather, not going up in flames this time around.
/shrug
If someone said, "car manufacturers are experiencing production troubles" in reference to the semiconductor shortage, it wouldn't be entirely accurate but it wouldn't be entirely wrong either. When the engines are being manufactured by the same company as the producer of the finished product, I think calling it a production problem is fairly reasonable, or at least more so than calling it a demand problem.
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:04 am
TGLS wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:39 pm2) There's more than people in terms of cargo. One of the other advantages of getting the big rocket working is that it will make it cheaper to set up satellite internet.
Oh right, Elon's personal Kessler Syndrome waiting to happen to carry his name into the caged-onto-Earth future of mankind. I ain't bothered by that particular project failing.
I just wanted to provide an example of "not sending millionaires on glorified vomit comets".
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am It's almost like privatizing the space industry was a bad idea that just lets the richest man in the world steal billions of dollars from the American Public.
SpaceX can at least get crew and supplies to the space station. NASA's regular contract for developing a manned vehicle with Boeing is way over budget and behind schedule with myriad design problems.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:24 pm https://eu.statesman.com/story/business ... 825474002/

Here is Tom Hanks revealing that he turned down the spaceflight that William Shatner went on as he would have had to spend $28 million for the privilege. Even for Hanks that isn't pocket change (which also shows you just how rich Shatner is but I digress).
Shatner rode Blue Origin, Bezo's outfit, not SpaceX.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:16 pm

Shatner rode Blue Origin, Bezo's outfit, not SpaceX.
But the cost cannot be that different. In fact if it is, that is even more proof that SpaceX isn't cost effective.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:14 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am It's almost like privatizing the space industry was a bad idea that just lets the richest man in the world steal billions of dollars from the American Public.
SpaceX can at least get crew and supplies to the space station. NASA's regular contract for developing a manned vehicle with Boeing is way over budget and behind schedule with myriad design problems.
I'm not sure how that actually contradicts my point. Unless Boeing suddenly became a government owned corporation like USPS when I wasn't looking.

Personally I think we should just use a Soyuz copy or derivative, it's a proven reliable technology that you could then tweak and improve on as necessary.