Autonomous Truck Completes driverless run

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

Autonomous Truck Completes driverless run

Post by phantom000 »

Well, looks like its all over with for truck drivers.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/12/29/tusim ... lic-roads/
TGLS
Captain

Re: Autonomous Truck Completes driverless run

Post by TGLS »

phantom000 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:32 pm Well, looks like its all over with for truck drivers.

That won't be problematic at all!
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

TGLS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:38 pm
phantom000 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:32 pm Well, looks like its all over with for truck drivers.

Well, that report is almost 7 years old.
A worker in China can't drive a truck in Ohio, and machines can't drive cars (yet).
Technology is beginning to catch up with CDL drivers and if you think about it, a trucker does the same thing a drone does; 'pick up a load at point A and deliver it to point B.'
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

phantom000 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:50 pm
TGLS wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Well, that report is almost 7 years old.
A worker in China can't drive a truck in Ohio, and machines can't drive cars (yet).
Technology is beginning to catch up with CDL drivers and if you think about it, a trucker does the same thing a drone does; 'pick up a load at point A and deliver it to point B.'
Well, here's an old comic about the same thing: https://thenib.com/automated-trucking/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Spam-desu
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah, I think we might have some just for stuff the computer can't deal with.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Well the way I look at it, people like me will still be employed. The mechanics. We are not there yet on that at least. So pilotless planes or driverless trucks will still need the human element to fix them.

Then you create robots to fix them. Then there will be mechanics to fix those robots. Then we create robots to fix the robots to fix the robotic trucks and planes.

Then SkyNet happens.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

My opinion hasn't changed. Bullshit jobs that aren't actually needed will need to be created in order to keep people employed in this new wave of AI. Otherwise capitalism is going to collapse because no one will have any money to spend.

All of these drone vehicles and automated shops - they'll be regulated by the end of the century. Do not also rule out a Trump-style reactionary government that gets in promising this either.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:05 am My opinion hasn't changed. Bullshit jobs that aren't actually needed will need to be created in order to keep people employed in this new wave of AI. Otherwise capitalism is going to collapse because no one will have any money to spend.

All of these drone vehicles and automated shops - they'll be regulated by the end of the century. Do not also rule out a Trump-style reactionary government that gets in promising this either.
My view is that the odds of bullshit jobs being created is very low because while they would be needed to placate the masses long term they are devastating for any given quarter which is all the highly automated investor system cares about. On the plus side I view the collapse of capitalism as something that is both necessary for the survival of humanity and good in and of itself as capitalism is literally the only reason that automation is a bad thing.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

clearspira wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:05 am My opinion hasn't changed. Bullshit jobs that aren't actually needed will need to be created in order to keep people employed in this new wave of AI. Otherwise capitalism is going to collapse because no one will have any money to spend.
You say that like it isn't the end goal. Having literally all the wealth in the world is the ultimate win state of the near-trillionheirs. Once the masses have been completely outmoded and defunded, then they will have served their purpose. Their status after this is of no concern.

In other words: "forget you, got mine".
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Draco Dracul wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:59 am On the plus side I view the collapse of capitalism as something that is both necessary for the survival of humanity and good in and of itself as capitalism is literally the only reason that automation is a bad thing.
I think you're being rather optimistic about the shape of post-capitalism.
Spam-desu