Chinese Exchange University Students Enforcing Chinese Censorship Law

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BBally81
Officer

Chinese Exchange University Students Enforcing Chinese Censorship Law

Post by BBally81 »

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Chinese Exchange University Students Enforcing Chinese Censorship Law

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Okay, so there is a generic exchange program with students from China acting out of line, and the whole thing is framed as a communist party take over fighting your free speech.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:17 pm Okay, so there is a generic exchange program with students from China acting out of line, and the whole thing is framed as a communist party take over fighting your free speech.
I didn't watch the video. Is this any different from a exchange student saying things that wouldn't be really acceptable in the country they are studying in?
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:38 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:17 pm Okay, so there is a generic exchange program with students from China acting out of line, and the whole thing is framed as a communist party take over fighting your free speech.
I didn't watch the video. Is this any different from a exchange student saying things that wouldn't be really acceptable in the country they are studying in?
It's a student from China at a commonwealth university in an exchange program.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:04 pm
So yes?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:46 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:04 pm
So yes?
Sorry I misread. They're doing inappropriate things, yes.
..What mirror universe?
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Basically it's Chinese exchange students tearing/taking down down leaflets, slogans...etc highlighting atrocities committed by the Chinese government.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

The difference is that China for decades has been threatning and harassing dissidents to silence them. They're sending students abroad as part of this propaganda campaign, designed to make China look less belligerent and aggressive. And these students are also helpful spies as once they get jobs in their host countries can begin to leak secrets back to the homeland.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Kinky Vorlon wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:31 am The difference is that China for decades has been threatning and harassing dissidents to silence them. They're sending students abroad as part of this propaganda campaign, designed to make China look less belligerent and aggressive. And these students are also helpful spies as once they get jobs in their host countries can begin to leak secrets back to the homeland.
Even if true, they are doing a horrible job of it. It's not like this is a closed down state like North Korea or even old Soviet Russia.

Hell you can get an idea from what they ban or what not to from movies too.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BBally81 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 pm Basically it's Chinese exchange students tearing/taking down down leaflets, slogans...etc highlighting atrocities committed by the Chinese government.
Possible reasons for this range from "they're ignorant and are offended by exposure to what they believe are ridiculous lies" to "they have to act as though they're offended by ridiculous lies or the people watching them will ensure their families suffer".
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984