The Twitter Rebrand

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

The Twitter Rebrand

Post by clearspira »

Elon Musk is renaming Twitter to X.

Just X. No this is not an April Fool.

https://www.politico.eu/article/twitter ... -platform/

The reason why is actually what was rumoured to have been the reason he bought Twitter in the first place: he wants to create a ''do-everything'' ap using Twitter's infrastructure. Your shopping, banking, social media etc. all done through one place - Elon's place. The ''damage'' to Twitter as the conspiracy theories foretold, may have been intentional.

These aps BTW are massive in places like S. Korea where they have really taken off. The West is lagging behind a bit. I say ''lagging behind a bit'' because I sure as heck ain't using it. One hack and they have EVERYTHING.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: The Twitter Rebrand

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean, I don't WANT Twitter to collapse.

I have spent 10 years building my followers and use as an advertising platform as an indie author.

But Musk has somehow caused it's value to halve.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

At this point the only thing Twitter has over the dozen or so microblogging competitors is the name recognition, and now it won't even have that.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:21 pm At this point the only thing Twitter has over the dozen or so microblogging competitors is the name recognition, and now it won't even have that.
Well there are still the network effects, but that might be overcome.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:03 am Elon Musk is renaming Twitter to X.

Just X. No this is not an April Fool.

https://www.politico.eu/article/twitter ... -platform/

The reason why is actually what was rumoured to have been the reason he bought Twitter in the first place: he wants to create a ''do-everything'' ap using Twitter's infrastructure. Your shopping, banking, social media etc. all done through one place - Elon's place. The ''damage'' to Twitter as the conspiracy theories foretold, may have been intentional.

These aps BTW are massive in places like S. Korea where they have really taken off. The West is lagging behind a bit. I say ''lagging behind a bit'' because I sure as heck ain't using it. One hack and they have EVERYTHING.
I wouldn't call not having gone (yet) in a bad direction "lagging behind."

I'd have thought it would've been cheaper to build the infrastructure, purpose-built. If you are going to buy and use it then destroying a very recognisable brand instead of making use of that brand is still a stupid move; Musk doesn't actually gain anything that I can see by destroying Twitter. If he was trying to do what you suggest and didn't want it he could still sell the brand off again, if he's not trashed it first.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think he been drinking his own kool aid and just delsisional.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Now the real funny part is that Meta already owns the rights to a social media logo called X which could cause Elon some problems.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:21 am Now the real funny part is that Meta already owns the rights to a social media logo called X which could cause Elon some problems.
Yeah, when I read that, I burst into laughter for a solid minute. If Zuckerberg sues Musk for it, I'll need a vacation for the burst of laughter.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

This is just so stupid. "Tweet" has been in the lexicon for over a DECADE! It is a verb! Just like how googling is a verb. Why throw the name away for an 'everything app' YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE YET?!?

I only have a Twitter account for something work related and us moving off of Twitter has come up a few times. Honestly I'm shocked as many state agency are still on there as they are, but something is going to give and when it does the fallout is going to be a mess.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Police crashed Elon Musk's attempt to take down Twitter's sign outside San Francisco headquarters (Business Insider)

Musk orders to take down the Twitter-sign on their San Franciso Headquarters. Police arrives on scene, asks for the permit to have the crane on the street for the removal. Musk, of course, has none. Sign-removal stopped halfway through by police. People are having a field day with it, proposing for example, that the police should've stopped them when the technician had removed the letters "ter", so "Twit" is left on the sign.

I love this shitshow. Can't get enough of seeing the twit fail hard. He's like King Midas. Except his touch turns everything into shit.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox