Unity - Makers of Unity Game Engine - Changes Licensing Policy. EVERYONE is both Baffled and Furious.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Unity - Makers of Unity Game Engine - Changes Licensing Policy. EVERYONE is both Baffled and Furious.

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Long-and-Short: Unity has drastically changed their policy for licensing their VERY popular video game engine. Basically, every time someone installs a game, the DEVELOPERS of that game are required to pay Unity 20¢. Every. Single. Time. This, rightly, has many developers (especially smaller indie devs and hobbyists) VERY up in arms.

This is clearly an attempt by the CEO, John Riccitiello (previously the CEO of Electronic Arts from 2007-2014 AKA the "Worst Company in America" years) to effectively hold a massive swath of the gaming industry hostage. I'm reminded of Wizards of the Coast and the Open Gaming License debacle from January.

A short list of major games that currently use Unity:

Among Us
Hearthstone
Genshin Impact
Pokémon Go
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
Beat Saber
Magic: The Gathering - Arena
Outer Wilds
Fall Guys
The Return of the Obra Din
Pillars of Eternity
Cult of the Lamb
And hundreds, possible THOUSANDS, more.

This has shaken the entire industry.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/12/2387 ... evelopment
TGLS
Captain

Re: Unity - Makers of Unity Game Engine - Changes Licensing Policy. EVERYONE is both Baffled and Furious.

Post by TGLS »

This clip came to mind...

youtu.be/3D8TEJtQRhw
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Unity - Makers of Unity Game Engine - Changes Licensing Policy. EVERYONE is both Baffled and Furious.

Post by hammerofglass »

The CEO also rather suspiciously sold off his stock right before announcing this...
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Conveniantly there has been a bomb threat today causing several offices to close. Maybe its real, maybe its not. But I say ''convenaint'' because yesterday they were getting abuse, today they are getting sympathy. The 24hr news cycle, folks.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

clearspira wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:05 am Conveniantly there has been a bomb threat today causing several offices to close. Maybe its real, maybe its not. But I say ''convenaint'' because yesterday they were getting abuse, today they are getting sympathy. The 24hr news cycle, folks.
I've interacted with gamergaters and channers too many times in my life. There are people THAT insane out there and they've wrecked lives for less.

Like, I'm surprised Bethesda/Larian didn't get threats over having they/them pronouns as an option in Starfield/BG3, that's how little fuel these whackjobs need.

But it could very well been a false-flag. It's honestly a coin flip.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Oh, by the stars... They may have pulled all this... just to push an advertising platform for mobile games...

https://www.eurogamer.net/unity-will-qu ... ice-report
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yup. I don't see how they want to get past the first class-action lawsuit with that, retroactively changing the terms of their service and payment. I doubt that'd fly in any civilized country.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Turns out that bomb threat was from an employee.

https://twitter.com/sweetpotatoes/statu ... 47423?s=20
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

what they blueberry fuck are they thinking?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville