CDC gives up on 5-day isolation

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

CDC gives up on 5-day isolation

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... nd-washing
Fuck the CDC. We need actual public health policy.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: CDC gives up on 5-day isolation

Post by ProfessorDetective »

I have trouble blaming them, at this point. There are too many sociopathic idiots in this country who WILL ignore any and all mandates you could issue for this, because stubborn contrarianism is half of their self-identities. Nothing short of martial law would get them to stop and even THEN, they'd just use it as an excuse to start up Civil War II. How do you contain the virus, at that rate?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:03 am I have trouble blaming them, at this point. There are too many sociopathic idiots in this country who WILL ignore any and all mandates you could issue for this, because stubborn contrarianism is half of their self-identities. Nothing short of martial law would get them to stop and even THEN, they'd just use it as an excuse to start up Civil War II. How do you contain the virus, at that rate?
I agree. And it's gotten worse. I have said this before and I will say it again, if Covid actually damaged the skin in some way, we would have seen better citizen response.

Heaven forbid that we get the Black Plague 2.0. It will kill so many before many take it seriously.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:03 am I have trouble blaming them, at this point. There are too many sociopathic idiots in this country who WILL ignore any and all mandates you could issue for this, because stubborn contrarianism is half of their self-identities. Nothing short of martial law would get them to stop and even THEN, they'd just use it as an excuse to start up Civil War II. How do you contain the virus, at that rate?
Generally the CDC should be a wall of concern. It's not about putting up an electric fence to try to curb people from doing what they want, but saying "this is dangerous," while not bowing to the mostly gray-area reasoning of economic efficiency.

Still though yes I do agree, that the gray area of common sense on the other hand does play an appreciating factor as time goes on. There's only so much disruption to daily commerce on a social level, especially when probabilities get mitigated more and more.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 am
Generally the CDC should be a wall of concern. It's not about putting up an electric fence to try to curb people from doing what they want, but saying "this is dangerous," while not bowing to the mostly gray-area reasoning of economic efficiency.

Still though yes I do agree, that the gray area of common sense on the other hand does play an appreciating factor as time goes on. There's only so much disruption to daily commerce on a social level, especially when probabilities get mitigated more and more.
Not a wall of concern. That would suggest a warning. Which is one thing obviously they do. But they should have or already have the capability to do things necessary if a truly horrific disease breaks out.

Covid in how it was handled and how the population handled it really killed any kind of trust the more skeptical part of the population trust.

Should something that is more serious comes around again I think the general population response will be far slower than before. We got these anti science people already that once you are wrong about something, you are forever wrong. Nevermind that with masks and gloves the way Covid happened originally you were supposed to treat like everything you touched had shit on it.

Now, there will be mass deaths before it's taken seriously whatever nature or man made is thrown at us.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

This is going to be a big boost to Covid. Without that rule businesses are going to stop letting people with it stay home. You can knowingly spread it or you can be suddenly unemployed, because workers sure can't take several days off at no notice.

We're in the middle of a bad wave as it is, no matter how much the corporate media tries to push that it's over.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Been no rules about Covid here for ages, and that doesn't seem to have caused a problem.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:11 pm Been no rules about Covid here for ages, and that doesn't seem to have caused a problem.
Sorry I forget where you're from. Someplace with sick days I'm guessing.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:43 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:11 pm Been no rules about Covid here for ages, and that doesn't seem to have caused a problem.
Germany here. CoViD has been relegated to the status of a more severe flu. You can be written sick if you have it and want to do so (just like with a flu), but it's not cause for mandated isolation anymore.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:28 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:43 pm
Germany here. CoViD has been relegated to the status of a more severe flu. You can be written sick if you have it and want to do so (just like with a flu), but it's not cause for mandated isolation anymore.
Pretty much the same here (UK). You're not mandated to take time off sick if you've got Covid (or to test for it if you feel like you have). It might raise a few eyebrows if you do have it but feel OK and expect to take time off, at least where I work, but TBH I doubt anyone would query it much.

Most of the time no-one thinks about Covid any more.