I Issue A Challenge

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I Issue A Challenge

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

And this is not a rhetorical question, or a Gotcha, or a trick.

This is addressed to all of you who condemn the violent opposition of Nazis, because you protect free speech, or because you believe that peaceful means are more effective.

I want you to tell me what non-violent means you are using to oppose the Neo-Nazis.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: I Issue A Challenge

Post by Antiboyscout »

Debate them, argue with them, or just laugh at them. Do things like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ ... or-charity
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

I assume this thread is meant to ask what we are currently, personally doing.

I mock them online. I soundly reject their ideology in conversation with my friends and family. I fully support the state's efforts to prosecute and imprison them whenever they break the law. I contribute to the ACLU and NPR, since I firmly believe that Freedom of Speech and a well-functioning press are our two best tools against Fascism. Sadly, my current employment prevents me from taking part in any overtly political organized activity, so no protests for me.

Most importantly, I wield my vote as responsibly as I can. It's only one vote, but it's all I have.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Antiboyscout wrote:Debate them, argue with them, or just laugh at them. Do things like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ ... or-charity
So have you donated to any anti-Nazi charities in response to Nazi marches?

Debating and arguing with Nazis is pretty darn ineffective. If you do debate them in some public forum, the goal should not be to "win" the argument (this is impossible with somebody who is a genocidal zealot) but for the benefit of people on the sidelines, to let those who are threatened know that you are not complicit by your silence.

Do you laugh at them to their faces? Or do you snicker at their youtube videos?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

LittleRaven wrote:I assume this thread is meant to ask what we are currently, personally doing.

I mock them online. I soundly reject their ideology in conversation with my friends and family. I fully support the state's efforts to prosecute and imprison them whenever they break the law. I contribute to the ACLU and NPR, since I firmly believe that Freedom of Speech and a well-functioning press are our two best tools against Fascism. Sadly, my current employment prevents me from taking part in any overtly political organized activity, so no protests for me.

Most importantly, I wield my vote as responsibly as I can. It's only one vote, but it's all I have.
You assumed correctly.

Alright then. That is good and effective. Thank you.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:I want you to tell me what non-violent means you are using to oppose the Neo-Nazis.
I'm a mighty and unbowed keyboard warrior. Usually in chat rooms or YouTube comments threads, including one earlier today. I may have even opened up one person's mind a little once -- though he was a white supremacist and not necessarily a Nazi, Neo- or otherwise.

Admittedly, that doesn't exactly reach Captain Americaesque levels of Hitler-punchery. Mostly I just annoy racists and, hopefully, make them look silly and less attractive to anyone on the fence. I have not, AFAIK, encountered an actual Nazi in actual life, or heard of a local white supremacist march, Nazi or otherwise. If I do, I might march alongside antifa, but maybe not (at least one conservative student marching with antifa allegedly found they took violent objection to his hat). Maybe I'll just march a little to the right of antifa, with a sign saying "Not with antifa, but I think Nazis suck harder than a black hole at a salad bar." Or something shorter that would actually fit on a sign.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:And this is not a rhetorical question, or a Gotcha, or a trick.

This is addressed to all of you who condemn the violent opposition of Nazis, because you protect free speech, or because you believe that peaceful means are more effective.

I want you to tell me what non-violent means you are using to oppose the Neo-Nazis.
At present:

Besides voting, and attempting to contribute through my modest means to the political discourse of our society by engaging in discussions such as this, I am a registered member of the Democratic Party and a volunteer for Democrats Abroad. I will continue to support efforts to elect politicians who will reform our Justice System and contain, not condone, domestic terrorists, white supremacists, and Right-wing extremists.

Outside of American politics*, I volunteered extensively for the BC Green Party during the last provincial election.

I intend to make a donation to a civil rights organization, or to the Democratic Party, as soon as I have the available funds (I have made similar donations in the past).

If you can suggest any other non-violent means I might use to oppose Neo-Nazis, and Right-wing extremism generally, I'm all ears.

*In case this is unclear, I am a duel citizen of the US and Canada.

Edit: To be honest, Trump's election, and the rise of Right-wing extremism in America, was part of the impetus for me to take the step from just voting and talking, to actively participating in political parties.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

LittleRaven wrote:I assume this thread is meant to ask what we are currently, personally doing.

Same here.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:And this is not a rhetorical question, or a Gotcha, or a trick.

At present:

Besides voting, and attempting to contribute through my modest means to the political discourse of our society by engaging in discussions such as this, I am a registered member of the Democratic Party and a volunteer for Democrats Abroad. I will continue to support efforts to elect politicians who will reform our Justice System and contain, not condone, domestic terrorists, white supremacists, and Right-wing extremists.

Outside of American politics*, I volunteered extensively for the BC Green Party during the last provincial election.

I intend to make a donation to a civil rights organization, or to the Democratic Party, as soon as I have the available funds (I have made similar donations in the past).

If you can suggest any other non-violent means I might use to oppose Neo-Nazis, and Right-wing extremism generally, I'm all ears.

*In case this is unclear, I am a duel citizen of the US and Canada.

Edit: To be honest, Trump's election, and the rise of Right-wing extremism in America, was part of the impetus for me to take the step from just voting and talking, to actively participating in political parties.
Certainly!

You can raise funds for a nonprofit cause even if you DON'T have money through Goodsearch.com. It's a search engine, like yahoo or google or bing, except that you get to CHOOSE which registered nonprofit you support, and then every time you search they get a penny of ad revenue.

You can participate in protests.

You can call your members of congress asking them to denounce 45 and his twinkle-eyed encouragement of Neo Nazis. Emails rarely get read, letters and petitions don't have a lot of impact either, but deluging the phones gets noticed. If your congress members have town hall meetings nearby, show up to them and make your position clear in person.

Go to a Nazi speech or demonstration with a speaker set and blast out "The Hobbits are coming to Isengard!" every time they try to say something.

Watch out for anti-semetic dog-whistles, especially terms like "cultural marxism" and call them out in public.

These are all classics.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Admiral X wrote:

Same here.
Same as in the vote thing, or all of the above?