The Cassini Space Probe

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

The Cassini Space Probe

Post by phantom000 »

I heard about this on NPR and i immediately wanted to share it.

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2017/0 ... 505402246/

Cassini was planned as a follow up to the very successful Voyager missions. I am not an expert but it seems likely that there will not be another major mission to Saturn for some time.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: The Cassini Space Probe

Post by Admiral X »

Well, unless of course we were to spot something on one of its moons. ;)

youtu.be/3escvQEziag
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I remember when Cassini was launched, their was protesting against it because it was nuclear-powered. Back then, I was a stupid kid who thought nuclear-powered space craft were a bad idea. I know better now.

Pity we won't be following it up any time soon. I just find the state of our space program pitiful. We should have had a Mars base thirty years ago, and been sending men to Saturn and launching star probes now.
nebagram
Officer

Post by nebagram »

Cassini had a hell of a run, though. I remember staying up one night to watch the first results and images come in from the Huygens probe, and now that I look back at it, I realise that was thirteen years ago. If anything, we need to send another lander to Titan or Enceladus before sending another orbiter to Saturn.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Titan really should be a priority, it's probably the most interesting body in the Solar System that isn't Earth unless Europa turns up major surprises.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

NASA seems to have put the brakes on new flagship orbiters (why?), though ESA seems to entertain proposals for Uranus and Neptune missions from time to time.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

PerrySimm wrote:NASA seems to have put the brakes on new flagship orbiters (why?), though ESA seems to entertain proposals for Uranus and Neptune missions from time to time.
Because US government has not run NASA semi-competently in decades?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Honestly, it seems to be more a problem of funding that jackknifes based on public opinion and shifting directions that depend on what ever administration is currently in charge (For example, I remember that Nixon had a hand in cancelling Apollo because it was closely linked with Kennedy, his political rival). And it isn't a left-right issue
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I was speaking to a friend that worked for NASA a while back.

One of the problems is that NASA's funding is tied up with state politics. A senator wants money to fund part of NASA will put his vote in as long as part is going to fund in his state. So NASA projects end up spread over multiple locations with large amount of redundancy, conflicting goals and parts of projects completed competently while the overall mission is scrapped.

So NASA currently has a new Rover model but no real plans, capacity or goals to actually land in on another planet.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

NASA is essentially hostage to Congressional funding and Presidential directive, so that means long-term plans have to be cheap to be at all attainable, and you can expect constantly shifting directives and priorities based on whatever speech someone though sounded good last month got spoken.