Rise of the Revenge of the Return of Turmpcare

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Rise of the Revenge of the Return of Turmpcare

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

You know the drill by now people. Republicans are trying to gut the ACA again. Without these protections, millions will die. Call your senators. The good news is that McCaine decided to do the right thing now instead of at the zero hour, this time.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
cilantro
Officer

Re: Rise of the Revenge of the Return of Turmpcare

Post by cilantro »

It seems to be a shit bill and yeah it will screw over millions.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

It looks like this particular zombie isn't even going to get out of the coffin before it gets put down.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

LittleRaven wrote:It looks like this particular zombie isn't even going to get out of the coffin before it gets put down.
DON'T JINX IT.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

The thing I can't get over is that the ACA took on its current form thanks to the Republicans to begin with. So I, at least, am completely unsurprised that nothing they bring to the table really solves anything the ACA was allegedly supposed to solve to begin with. It's a pity there isn't a TR figure who can break up the medical monopolies in this country.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Well, it's giving one last gasp with a simply eye-popping level of political bribery at work, but I still don't think this monster is going to get out of the ground. But I don't want to seem TOO glib - if the Senate somehow does pass this trainwreck, it'll probably get rubber stamped in both the House and the White House, and that would be disastrous, so Friday can't get here quick enough.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Ouch.
Maine Republican Sen. Susan Collins said late Monday she is opposed to the latest bid to repeal Obamacare, likely dooming the legislation. In a statement, Collins said the Graham-Cassidy bill currently under consideration would have a "devastating impact" on Medicaid and weaken protections for those with pre-existing conditions. Collins also ripped the effort to revise the bill to appeal to holdout senators by granting their states more funding. "This is simply not the way we should be approaching an important and complex issue that must be handled thoughtfully and fairly for all Americans,"
That's 'shotgun to the head' level of dead.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't think any major reform to health care is going to be possible for the current Congress. Anything that is horrible enough to get the votes of Republican hardliners will lose too many votes from what passes for moderate Republicans these days. Getting Democratic votes for a Republican health care plan is a non-starter, because any plan is going to demand a repeal of Obamacare that will likely leave millions uninsured. The issue has become political poison, and nothing is going to happen for the foreseeable future.

And the sad thing is, nothing is probably the best option right now.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

It's dead Jim.
The Senate will not vote on the Graham-Cassidy bill to repeal Obamacare, Republican leaders announced Tuesday, dealing a devastating blow to President Donald Trump and GOP lawmakers who tried to make a last-ditch attempt to deliver on the party's years-long campaign promise.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

*deep sigh*

Now we can relax until the next time they try this frelling gremplork.