Las Vegas shooting

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
excalibur
Officer

Las Vegas shooting

Post by excalibur »

I want to drop this in before anyone else does. Let's offer our thoughts and prayers. Let's focus on the hard line issues and try our best to not be emotionally driven too much in our conversations here, fellows

As of this post, the causalities are 50 dead and over 400 transported to the hospital - unknown how many of those are wounded.

It has been released that the identity of the shooter is 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, a local resident of Vegas who, according to police, shot himself when confronted by law enforcement.

It is unknown as of now whether or not his actions were politically, religiously, or racially driven or caused by mental health issues. So as of now, we do not know the motive of this attack.

It is also unknown as of this time whether the weapons he used were legally obtained or not.

This was not what I was expecting to write down when I woke up this morning on a Monday.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
LittleRaven
Captain

Re: Las Vegas shooting

Post by LittleRaven »

64 years old. Man, I've heard people joke about how their retirement plan was to go out in a blaze of glory, but I never thought someone would actually do it.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Again? Seriously? What's wrong with these people?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

TGLS wrote:Again? Seriously? What's wrong with these people?
That's the real question

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

So like, NOW can we please enact the common-sense gun regulations that every other industrialized country has? Or at least the ones that Australia has, and they haven't had a mass shooting ever since they enacted them?

I honestly didn't think I'd see anything to top the PULSE massacre in my lifetime, much less within a few years. Why is everything that happens this year the worst thing of its kind in human history?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

While I'm in favour of gun-regulation for what I think are obvious reasons, expecting mass-shootings, amok-runs or murder-suicides to stop because of legislation, is rather naive. There are more guns in ciculation in Canada, which got more regulations than the US and there are still less gun-related deaths and basically no such occurances like this happening there. This shit is a cultural problem, not a gun problem.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Madner Kami wrote:This shit is a cultural problem, not a gun problem.
And that is also part of what's wrong.

In other cases, this is also a mental health issue. No amount of regulations prevents crazy people from doing crazy things. We need to address the underlying issues

TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote:There are more guns in circulation in Canada
I'm not sure if that's true; this site indicates the US has about 4 times as many guns per capita compared to Canada.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Some might disagree with what I'm about to say, but the numbers don't matter. 1 person dead or 50 in this case, because to everyone that's lost a love on here, to them, it's the 1 case that matters to them the most and not anyone else that's affected. They might say it otherwise later on, but at the moment, the number doesn't matter It is the motive and the person is who we should be focused on, not the methods but the why it happened and if anything could have been done before hand. A lot of times, random acts of violence can't be prevented no matter what safe measures and laws are in place, that's why they are random.

FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

Most mentally ill people don't do this. Lack of access to mental health treatment is a huge problem in America, but not just because of mass shootings but because of the thousands of people that kill themselves that could have been saved with therapy and/or medication every year.

Also, I want this fucking Onion article to stop being relevant. http://www.theonion.com/article/no-way- ... this-36131