I have a question to those who want to legalize prostitution

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

I have a question to those who want to legalize prostitution

Post by Karha of Honor »

And also those who want inmates to be treated better and i mean way better.

Should the government provide sex for inmates who cannot get conjugals? Should the government be the ''pimp'' of last resort if there were some real studies that would show that sex every couple of months would help the behaviour of inmates? Should inmate be able to buy sex from a female with the money they earned working inside the prison?
ORCACommander
Officer

Re: I have a question to those who want to legalize prostitution

Post by ORCACommander »

I'm not gonna address the second half prison reform is its own meaty topic.

I am partially in favor of legalized prostitution. After all in one way or another we use our bodies to earn a living, why not sex as well.

However such legalization would have to come with some heavy regulation.

Street prostitution stays illegal. There are a myriad of examples of why this is a terrible thing and is generally used as the entire objection against prostitution outside of the morality sphere.

Prostitutes should be in a Guild/Union organization.
Mandatory medical screenings every couple of months or so
Mandatory use of birth control/contraception and and binding contracts that any unexpected pregnancies do not hold the client responsible for parental rights or obligations, especially financial.
I would prefer if the workplace for this stayed in actual brothels since it would be a more secure environment but i can see the value in the discretion of a house service.
A common database of blacklisted clients
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

So, as someone who supports prison reform and legalized prostitution, I fail to see how these two ideas intersect other than, legalizing the one leads to fewer people in the other.

Or is this some incel shit working its way into the board now?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

SuccubusYuri wrote:So, as someone who supports prison reform and legalized prostitution, I fail to see how these two ideas intersect other than, legalizing the one leads to fewer people in the other.

Or is this some incel shit working its way into the board now?
What is incel? You think i am posting from prison with a hidden computer and demanding the government to send me some hookers?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Yeah, I'm not sure how this connects. If prostitution was legal there would be a prostitute supply contract for prisons? Maybe I guess? Or maybe prisoners can hire their own prostitutes for conjugal visits if they are legal (really nothing stopping that happening now, it's just more effort and risk).
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Agent Vinod wrote:And also those who want inmates to be treated better and i mean way better.
There is a difference between recognizing that prisoners are people who are therefore entitled to rights like life, due process, not getting raped/tortured/beaten/murdered, and having a non-life-threatening standard of food/housing/medical care; and thinking that they are entitled to every luxury under the Sun. Conflating the two would be a clear straw man, presumably intended to mock those who support more humane treatment of prisoners.

That said:
Should the government provide sex for inmates who cannot get conjugals?
I'd say no, as a rule. Having sex is not necessary for either life or dignity. Nor is sex a right (because you don't have a right to anyone else's body- if everybody refuses you, then that's their prerogative).

Any justification for such a program would have to be made on a purely utilitarian, cost/benefit-type analysis, I think. Which brings us to:
Should the government be the ''pimp'' of last resort if there were some real studies that would show that sex every couple of months would help the behaviour of inmates?
Show me those studies, then we'll talk.

But even then, I think you'd have to make a case that it would be the most cost-effective means of improving behaviour that was ethically and legally permissible, and you'd have to have really stringent safeguards in place to ensure that the prostitutes were safe, both from the prisoners and from exploitation by corrupt prison staff.

Practically, I doubt it would be justifiable in a lot of circumstances.
Should inmate be able to buy sex from a female with the money they earned working inside the prison?
Yeah, sure, if prostitution is legal. Or buy it from a male, for that matter.

Their money, they can do what they want with it, as long as its not hurting anybody.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I'd say no, as a rule. Having sex is not necessary for either life or dignity.
Unless your name is Abraham Maslow.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
The Romulan Republic
Captain

TGLS wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: I'd say no, as a rule. Having sex is not necessary for either life or dignity.
Unless your name is Abraham Maslow.
I don't get the reference. :?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs puts sex way down near the bottom of the pyramid, with air and food. So he would disagree.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
The Romulan Republic
Captain

TGLS wrote:Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs puts sex way down near the bottom of the pyramid, with air and food. So he would disagree.
Ah. I recognize the concept of the Hierarchy, but forgot the name of the creator.

Well, I have to say that I disagree, at least on an individual level. Sex is not an essential for life. It is not even an essential for psychological/emotional health, at least not universally (this, I admit, might be somewhat dependent on the individual). And as I said before, it is not and cannot be consider a right to have sex. Because the logical extension of that would be that others have the obligation to provide you with sex, which would be a violation of their rights (one does, of course, have the right to have sex with a willing partner who is capable of giving consent).

On a species-wide level, of course, it is essential for survival, at least until we figure out reliable human cloning. ;) But that doesn't really have any bearing on this thread's topic, which is weather their is an individual right or need for sex to the point that it would justify the state providing it to prisoners.