Good Guy with a Gun

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Good Guy with a Gun

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://thinkprogress.org/the-walmart-s ... 33af8cb92/

Another mass shooting, this time in a walmart. Turns out the shooter appears to be a very angry white Christian man who hates latinos. Lots of good guys armed with guns totally failed to stop him, and in fact made things worse.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is with common-sense gun regulations.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Good Guy with a Gun

Post by Admiral X »

Except of course for all the times that mass shootings have been stopped by someone who carried or who had a gun nearby they were able to get. Like say that church shooting in Tennessee fairly recently (which naturally didn't get much media coverage). The fact of the matter is that when seconds count, the police are minutes (or longer) away. This particular article/thread is pretty hypocritical considering it's both condemning CCW holders from failing to stop people from getting killed at all while also calling for them to just completely lack that ability at all. After all, who is to say that the shooter didn't flee because CCW holder pulled their weapons? Are we to believe he just shot a few people and decided to leave on his own? If that was the case it looks like a personal score, but, that isn't what it actually looks like.
“Why wouldn’t they draw their guns and shoot him?” Darlene Jackson, a truck driver and gun owner, said to the Denver Post.
Because if someone already has a gun drawn it's suicidal to draw yours unless they are not able to see the action or are otherwise occupied/distracted. Also, CCW holders know that they are responsible for every bullet they fire, which is why they didn't try to go Rambo on the guy either. If they had, I'm sure "ThinkProgress" would have had something to say about that, too. :roll:

Fact is, the process of getting a CCW permit involves extra vetting and training, which sounds like "common-sense" gun control to me. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

The only thing that stops a bad guy 100% percent of the time, is a good guy with a time machine. Unfortunately, bad guys with time machines are unbelievably dangerous, so nobody gets a time machine.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

-TR
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:https://thinkprogress.org/the-walmart-s ... 33af8cb92/

Another mass shooting, this time in a walmart. Turns out the shooter appears to be a very angry white Christian man who hates latinos. Lots of good guys armed with guns totally failed to stop him, and in fact made things worse.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is with common-sense gun regulations.
What if the bad guy with a gun is the US Government?
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

The guy ran away when he realized there's a bunch of armed NOT victims in the Walmart. It wasn't their jobs to stop the shooter. It's to defend themselves. How would "common sense gun regulations" stop this?

And that's a very racist statement. How's him being white or christian have anything to do with this?
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

So guns protected a bunch of minorities at a Wal-Mart from a shooter? Good.

It's like guns helping women fend off attackers/rapists - they really do equalize a situation in a way good intentions do not.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Speaking of women being able to defend themselves, that argument about having your gun wrestled away and used on you is the exact same one the local campus police chief used to justify banning pepper spray and tazers on campus along with firearms.
-TR
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Admiral X wrote:Speaking of women being able to defend themselves, that argument about having your gun wrestled away and used on you is the exact same one the local campus police chief used to justify banning pepper spray and tazers on campus along with firearms.
It's almost like they want women to be at a disadvantage defending themselves.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

excalibur wrote:

The guy ran away when he realized there's a bunch of armed NOT victims in the Walmart. It wasn't their jobs to stop the shooter. It's to defend themselves. How would "common sense gun regulations" stop this?

And that's a very racist statement. How's him being white or christian have anything to do with this?
...that's a very racist statement? It's a fact. What's racist about stating his race and religion?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville