DANICA ROEM WON!

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

DANICA ROEM WON!

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

You know, amid the floods, the fire, the raging winds and earthquakes, the mass shootings and terrorist plots and every bleak, skin-crawling news update to blight my consciousness, it's just GOOD to hear some GOOD news for a change!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dan ... story.html

Danica Roem, an out transgender woman, defeated the self-proclaimed "chief homophobe" and author of an anti-trans bathroom bill, Bob Marshall. While Marshall refused to use her correct pronouns or even debate her, Danica Roem has showed herself to be the very picture of class by responding with "I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now."

Holy frell. I needed this. T_T :oops: :lol:

I really should have stocked up on champagne minis last time, because while this isn't quite a full-sized poppin bottles moment, it does deserve to be celebrated.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Wild_Kraken
Doctor's Assistant

Re: DANICA ROEM WON!

Post by Wild_Kraken »

The elections last night were a referendum on Trumpism. It's a good sign going forward towards 2018 and 2020. And not just for Democrats. Several members of the DSA were elected to a variety of local city councils and such.
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:Holy frell. I needed this. T_T :oops: :lol:
The Democrats sorely needed the wins they got this past Tuesday. I mean, just look at incoming New Jersey governor Phil Murphy quite literally jumping for joy at the news. ;)

I have seen a number of conservatives and Trump supports try to downplay the results, especially in New York, New Jersey, and Virginia, by basically saying, "Well, Trump didn't win those states anyway, so what's the big deal?" In the case of Virginia, they're missing something important. Sure, Virginia's electoral vote has gone to Democratic candidates in the last three elections, and four out of the last five governors (Northam included) were Democrats. But the state legislature has been controlled by a significant Republican majority for the last 20+ years, a majority that was, as of the night before the election, considered relatively safe. No one, not even the Democrats, expected they would take a major bite out of that majority, much less be very close to becoming the majority. So, yeah, big news down here in VA. :geek:
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

There was a very real possibility for a while of Virginia's House of Delegates going Dem. for the first time in two decades. I read somewhere that the Democrats actually had the lead until four too close to call races came in.

If Virginia keeps trending blue, I expect we'll take it next time around.

Really, Tuesday was just great all around. Virginia Governorship retained, by a fairly wide margin. New Jersey Governorship regained, by an even wider margin. Maine passed Medicaid expansion, I believe. Big wins for diversity in state and local races.

We lost some races in solid Republican territory, but no surprises there. It was about the best outcome that could realistically have been hoped for, and a solid "Fuck you" from the electorate to Trump, coming up on the one-year anniversary of the 2016 election.