Both sides are bad....

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
LittleRaven
Captain

Both sides are bad....

Post by LittleRaven »

So vote for Kang!
A woman said Thursday that Minnesota Democratic Sen. Al Franken groped her and kissed her without her consent in 2006 while she was on a USO Tour overseas.
Franken has already apologized.
“The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women,” Mr. Franken wrote.

“I respect women. I don’t respect men who don’t,” he continued. “And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.”
He has not, however, offered his resignation. Mitch McConnell, concerned about the image of one of America's most storied institutions, has called for an ethics review.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is calling on the Senate Ethics Committee to review allegations that Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) kissed and groped a woman without her consent in 2006.

“As with all credible allegations of sexual harassment or assault, I believe the Ethics Committee should review the matter. I hope the Democratic Leader will join me on this. Regardless of party, harassment and assault are completely unacceptable — in the workplace or anywhere else," McConnell said in a statement.
The Republican party is well known for its zero-tolerance when it comes to sexual harassment, cemented in their earnest if unsuccessful attempt to remove known philanderer Clinton from office in the 90s.

Leeann Tweeden, however, has accepted the apology.
"The apology, sure I accept it, yes. People make mistakes and of course he knew he made a mistake," Leeann Tweeden said. "So yes I do accept that apology. There's no reason why I shouldn't accept his apology."
Stay tuned for more exciting developments!
GandALF
Officer

Re: Both sides are bad....

Post by GandALF »

Is Christopher Plummer going to replace Al Franken?
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

LittleRaven wrote:Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is calling on the Senate Ethics Committee to review allegations that Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) kissed and groped a woman without her consent in 2006.
He's not the only one: Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer also called for an ethics investigation. From what I've read, he didn't waste time.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

LittleRaven wrote:The Republican party is well known for its zero-tolerance when it comes to sexual harassment, cemented in their earnest if unsuccessful attempt to remove known philanderer Clinton from office in the 90s.
It's really hard to read tone on the internet, so I have to ask, are you being sarcastic?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:It's really hard to read tone on the internet, so I have to ask, are you being sarcastic?
Wow. I knew Poe's Law was in full effect these days, but I confess I thought THAT one would get through.

Yes Fuzzy. I'm being super, SUPER sarcastic. ;)
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

LittleRaven wrote:
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:It's really hard to read tone on the internet, so I have to ask, are you being sarcastic?
Wow. I knew Poe's Law was in full effect these days, but I confess I thought THAT one would get through.

Yes Fuzzy. I'm being super, SUPER sarcastic. ;)
Obviously...

they succeeded, Bill Clinton resigned before He was removed from office after the impeachment proceedings were started.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The problem with sarcasm, is that there is pretty much nothing you can say in sarcasm or jest which surpasses in stupidity and malice that which Trump and his supporters say in deadly earnest.

As for Franken, I'm disappointed, but its not hard to anticipate that there'd be some prominent Democrats revealed as predators. No party has a monopoly on it. The test will come in how the Democrats respond, going forward.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

From what we know so far, Franken is hardly a predator. He made a bad joke, he apologized, she accepted his apology.

Unless there's more where this came from, I think he's fine.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

The real popcorn turner will be to see if Tweeden resists an ethics investigation.

Yeah, call me cynical but I am gonna need more than an unrelated photo of a comedian and one of Hannity's running buddies, who shared it with the alt-right media before she went public.

One of the more enlightening conversations, which I feel applies here as well, is a Robert Smigel interview where he was talking about focus-testing the Triumph skit where they went to the Star Wars premiere in '02. If you've seen it you remember the bit at the end where the Spock cosplayer comes out and flips everyone off.

But the original cut of the act was him holding up a sign that said "Fags". And he admits that he'd be mortified to try and do the same gag if he was writing the material today. It was the fact that the bit was almost universally uncomfortable for the <25s in their focus group, that made him reconsider and change it to the, he now believes, much funnier cut. That was a transition he made over ten years, to understand and also believe, those kids point of view.

Of course now it'll be "BUT WHAT ABOUT FRANKEN!" for every child predator the next three years. But I guess that will be expected from the faction who perceives it all as a witch hunt.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The problem with sarcasm, is that there is pretty much nothing you can say in sarcasm or jest which surpasses in stupidity and malice that which Trump and his supporters say in deadly earnest.

As for Franken, I'm disappointed, but its not hard to anticipate that there'd be some prominent Democrats revealed as predators. No party has a monopoly on it. The test will come in how the Democrats respond, going forward.
Call him a predator for misunderstanding something, going for it to soon. Le us brand him like a child molester.

Everyone has to be a sexual jedi master from now on.