Moving Beyond Banksy

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Moving Beyond Banksy

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Here's the rather amusing cries for help from Banksy's Roommate http://casey.kolderup.org/tweets/roomma ... sy-tweets/

I would like you to read them, and then consider how we can improve our political discourse.

"The government is bad" is not a nuanced position, nor a particularly helpful one for moving forward.

Are you an Anarchist? If so, then I can respect that, but you can move along to the other threads. You heard me, Rasp. This one isn't for you.

If you're not an Anarchist, then you must recognize that a government has some useful role in society, you must be opposed to the idea of getting rid of it altogether, and it's time for your debate to reflect that.

You obviously believe the government is good for SOME things, and presumeably support SOME party or SOME officials, even if they aren't mainstream ones. Instead of saying "The government sucks anyway" or "I don't trust the goverment with this!", I ask that you engage a more nuanced approach.

If you don't trust the government to regulate something, then perhaps you could say who you DO trust to regulate it, whether it's experts in the field, or why you consider it to be such an essential right or resource to human sovereignty that it can be self-regulating.

When you take issue with "the government", it might be helpful to stay whether you are talking about federal, state, or local, executive, legislative, or judicial, whether you are disagreeing with the party in power or somebody else.

I just think this is what will help us be more clear and have more productive discussions, rather than, well, being Banksy the Roommate.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville