Disney buys Fox for $52.4bn

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Disney buys Fox for $52.4bn

Post by Fixer »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42353545

As massive media monopolies go. This is a big one.
Soon Disney shall own all your thoughts, hopes and dreams.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antiboyscout
Captain

Re: Disney buys Fox for $52.4bn

Post by Antiboyscout »

Oh good. Now the last conservative news show on tv will dragged into "family friendly"* land.

*progressive politics are considered family friendly
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Antiboyscout wrote:Oh good. Now the last conservative news show on tv will dragged into "family friendly"* land.

Fox News is not part of the deal.

On the entertainment side of it, Disney gets access to a bunch of classic franchises, including the original Star Wars, and they will probably get their chance to start on X-Men and Fantastic Four movies. To be honest, I'm already not crazy about Disney's approach of overloading you with multiple samey movies, and I don't think this deal is going to help that at all.
The owls are not what they seem.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

If I want to be positive, maybe I'll get to see a non-trash Fantastic 4 / Dr. Doom movie now.

If I want to be negative, Disney owns pretty much anything that isn't Warner Brothers now.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

They haven't done bad by Marvel or Star Wars, IMHO. While I'm uncomfortable with that big a slice of entertainment under one company, it's a sort of vague "I've got a bad feeling about this"-ness distrust of concentrations of power than anything solid.

Deadpool 2 has already wrapped up filming. I think the only likely affect on Deadpool 3 will be a Disney joke, but you never know.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

Yeah there's a part of me that's a bit weary about this given the sheer amount of stuff Disney already has but this will probably work out. Probably.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:
Antiboyscout wrote:Oh good. Now the last conservative news show on tv will dragged into "family friendly"* land.

Fox News is not part of the deal.

On the entertainment side of it, Disney gets access to a bunch of classic franchises, including the original Star Wars, and they will probably get their chance to start on X-Men and Fantastic Four movies. To be honest, I'm already not crazy about Disney's approach of overloading you with multiple samey movies, and I don't think this deal is going to help that at all.
Oh good.

as for X-men, nothing the Disney/Marvel formula can make will top Logan.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Krom dammit. I'm getting really tired of watching Disney gobble up all our popculture mythologies And I really didn't want to see the xmen get shoved into the mcu. Hopefully they at least let New Mutants and Deadpool 2 get released without too much executive fuckery.

Mark my words, MGM is gonna fall next. The Maus wants the Wizard of Oz.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

My hot take: Nothing will ever be in the public domain as Disney will own all and keep lobbying to get the dates moved.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

here's a question: when they inevitably decide to get into the videogame market, will it be sega, or atari that they decide to devour?