Star Trek: Discovery - Season Four

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season Four

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ha

My mind just fills it in.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:54 pm My mind just fills it in.
Mine does. Those walls are clearly plywood, but when I watch the show I'm not seeing sets. The same is true for the world they inhabit. I can imagine that these things, when done well enough, represent something else. I can absolutely imagine that we might make things so advanced that they look simple; after all, I've been alive through a few technological design revolutions in our own history.

Anyway, I agree with you that it would have been nice for Discovery to slot in more naturally in the increment between ENT and TOS, I just disagree that it should have been a running gag to do so.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Mine does. Those walls are clearly plywood, but when I watch the show I'm not seeing sets. The same is true for the world they inhabit. I can imagine that these things, when done well enough, represent something else. I can absolutely imagine that we might make things so advanced that they look simple; after all, I've been alive through a few technological design revolutions in our own history.

Anyway, I agree with you that it would have been nice for Discovery to slot in more naturally in the increment between ENT and TOS, I just disagree that it should have been a running gag to do so.
I'm being kind of stubborn with my concern considering Trek '09 has already come out and people are over that hill if anything.

I think it could be a knick knack for the show. Like how Sisco on Flash makes a game out of naming villains which musingly nuances how in the world such names would develop for people.
..What mirror universe?
Muzer
Redshirt

Post by Muzer »

I definitely think this obsession with trying to make everything connect up makes things seem hokey and makes the universe smaller. Discovery itself is guilty of this. Burnham being Spock's sister? And (as much as I like Anson Mount's portrayal of him and I'm hopeful for the series) Pike is there? I can forgive them more for things like the mirror universe because that's already well-established as a place that is often accidentally visited. While it's not precisely the same thing, IMHO the Klingon augment stuff in Enterprise had the same hokey feel; contrivances to explain something that's better left to fan debate than actual canonical explanation, mostly because *any* explanation you come up with is going to feel unsatisfying as it's trying to explain something ridiculous. I feel like explaining the TOS sets etc. would be the same. I mean, sure, I suppose it *could* be done really well if they got a great writer with an amazingly good idea, but really, I don't think it would.

Aanyway. I do kind of agree that shorter seasons harms the ability to do one-off stories, but I'm not sure I'd fully agree. It harms the ability to churn out stories in a "fire and forget" fashion as American TV traditionally did, but it *shouldn't* prevent you from having a good mix of season-long story arc and one-off tale if you're instead going to concentrate on quality. I mean British TV has been doing it for decades. The thing is you just need to make your one-off stories really good. Have one very talented writer hand-pick them, write some of their own for the particularly important episodes, and then polish all the scripts to give the whole thing a consistent feel (including letting the season long arcs work well), like the Doctor Who showrunner would, or a script editor of old. If that's how things are done on Discovery — well frankly either the person doesn't have enough talent, or they're not being given enough time to do their job.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Its called willing suspension of disbelief.

I put this this to you: if you cannot get past the fact that the walls are wooden and the computers are primitive, then how are you getting past the fact that that every alien race in this show is just a human being with pointed ears or a nobbly nose?

As for Discovery itself, if they had started with season 3 and dialled back Michael 50% then this show would have been widely accepted.

I have said this before and nothing has changed my view on this: Season 1 was made by people indifferent to Star Trek. That is why we have dumbass moves like redesigning the Klingons. To them, it was just an alien. To the fans, you just rewrote the last thirty years of their lives.
But as time went on they realised that ''shit, we better actually, y'know, try and put some actual Star Trek into our Star Trek'' and things slowly changed. They got lucky. I do not believe that if STD had been on TV that they would have made it this far. CBS were helped greatly by streaming.

And i for one will give it this much: I hate PIC far, far more. I get the sense that STD at least tries nowadays. PIC is a grotesque insult.
Muzer
Redshirt

Post by Muzer »

Discovery's improvements in some areas have come with the season-long plots getting somehow even more ridiculous each season. And the constantly changing setting means they're effectively having new first seasons, every season. Just when they've ironed out all the previous problems they introduce a pile of new ones
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Given the comments that STRANGE NEW WORLDS is going to veer more toward the TOS aesthetic via costumes/sets and away from what Disco did, I’ll be curious to see what the extent of that is.

Disco at least doesn’t have to worry about trying to fit in with TOS anymore as it’s a millennium away.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 am Given the comments that STRANGE NEW WORLDS is going to veer more toward the TOS aesthetic via costumes/sets and away from what Disco did, I’ll be curious to see what the extent of that is.

Disco at least doesn’t have to worry about trying to fit in with TOS anymore as it’s a millennium away.
Hopefully they learn from the mistakes of disco.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:13 am Given the comments that STRANGE NEW WORLDS is going to veer more toward the TOS aesthetic via costumes/sets and away from what Disco did, I’ll be curious to see what the extent of that is.
All I've really heard is that SNW plans to be more episodic than Discovery or Picard. Maybe spaghetti theory is a good strategy, maybe not.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Alright fella but tell me this, what if we always had a show going on like Discovery that was just back studio kind of story but just did it pretty well?
..What mirror universe?