Wait until sfdebris gets to Stargate Universe.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Wait until sfdebris gets to Stargate Universe.

Post by Captain Crimson »

Yeah, and this is why I harped on the woke - proto-woke, rather. Since those elements were slowly creeping in, not necessarily in the plot, mind you, so much as out of verse. There was an LGBT blog back then bemoaning the rape of a lesbian by a man. Oh, but it's okay for Colonel Telford by Young's wife? Talk about selective favoritism. :lol:

I think you may be on point about Chloe. Never considered that. And as I'd said, I think Eli was one of the best characters, since he's the brightest! Give him that. Very rarely does anyone here smile on this show, and he's always upbeat, a bit jovial, optimistic, and frequently cites pop culture. He feels more in line to the previous light-hearted elements. It's almost like there's this meta element saying "haha, foolish kids, optimism is for suckers, now go away, fandom!"

May be a bit controversial, but I like Dr. Rush. No, I'll grant you, he's a tool, but he's at least something of a well-acted tool. Maybe it's just the accent.

I think the biggest flaws to SGU really come down to its foundation. People being this depressed and cynical and bickering about together, could be explained if they'd just had a stronger foundation. I do not buy for one second these people should have wound up at Icarus Base given the competence of the previous shows. And ditch the sex-for-ratings ploy, please! It's even stupider since the stones were at least a bench mark to give you hope, and yet they don't have hope. Atlantis was stranded in Pegasus for a year, and yet they still pulled through. And the stones really were just wasted potential past trying to make the fans cringe. In defense about them, though, I just suspect the chosen recipient was the same gender.

And then they went and blamed the scheduling change for why it tanked. Same thing all egocentric defenders do for their work or something they love - there were extenuating circumstances! SMH

At least S2 got better, but as with ENT, too little, too late, sadly.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:53 pm Yeah, and this is why I harped on the woke - proto-woke, rather. Since those elements were slowly creeping in, not necessarily in the plot, mind you, so much as out of verse. There was an LGBT blog back then bemoaning the rape of a lesbian by a man. Oh, but it's okay for Colonel Telford by Young's wife? Talk about selective favoritism. :lol:

I think you may be on point about Chloe. Never considered that. And as I'd said, I think Eli was one of the best characters, since he's the brightest! Give him that. Very rarely does anyone here smile on this show, and he's always upbeat, a bit jovial, optimistic, and frequently cites pop culture. He feels more in line to the previous light-hearted elements. It's almost like there's this meta element saying "haha, foolish kids, optimism is for suckers, now go away, fandom!"

May be a bit controversial, but I like Dr. Rush. No, I'll grant you, he's a tool, but he's at least something of a well-acted tool. Maybe it's just the accent.

I think the biggest flaws to SGU really come down to its foundation. People being this depressed and cynical and bickering about together, could be explained if they'd just had a stronger foundation. I do not buy for one second these people should have wound up at Icarus Base given the competence of the previous shows. And ditch the sex-for-ratings ploy, please! It's even stupider since the stones were at least a bench mark to give you hope, and yet they don't have hope. Atlantis was stranded in Pegasus for a year, and yet they still pulled through. And the stones really were just wasted potential past trying to make the fans cringe. In defense about them, though, I just suspect the chosen recipient was the same gender.

And then they went and blamed the scheduling change for why it tanked. Same thing all egocentric defenders do for their work or something they love - there were extenuating circumstances! SMH

At least S2 got better, but as with ENT, too little, too late, sadly.
I think Eli is what Wesley Crusher should have been to not suck.

I never bought his backstory though. The idea that he could do in an MMO what Carter or McKay couldn't is really stretching it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 am Yeah, I don't even mind it was trying to go dark, TBH. Or do something different. No, it's that they were trying too hard to be NuBSG. I mean, the pilot's sex scene made that quite plain, and that the crew is, frankly, a bunch of unlikable a-holes. Like, really. This is grounds SG had already evolved past, and yet here they are, repeating it. They went woke, trying to get the younger demographics that had come in with SGA alongside the older fans, and lost almost everyone. Oh, but INB4 "it was scheduling issues that kept the fans away!" Yeah, sure, and the creatives brushing off fan reaction by citing the critical accolades didn't play a role?

Personally, I wonder what Mr. Chuck's take is gonna be on the Ori, since his latest chronological review is into SG-1 S8, and past that, all we have is one offhand mention in the Abyss review. I know late SG had a tendency to reinvent itself, but honestly, it was so creatively done, it's what modern studios can really only dream of, and I think the Ori represent a far deadlier threat than the System Lords. Just look at the Battle of P3Y-229, just... wow. They really went all out, and just... whoosh. It's no surprise certain Goa'uld, such as Nerus, tried to find their way into the Ori's good graces. Or others like Ba'al, who had his own cunning schemes that involved the Dakara weapon or Merlin's anti-Ori device.

And now we hear rumors of a new TV show. Personally, I think they waited too long. SG wouldn't be welcome in today's environment, where magic and superheroes, not science-fiction, rule the day, with rising distrust in police and military and established authority, where secret conspiracies are less cool than the '90s, and with the desire SJWs have to shove in increasingly trendy progressive social themes the writers are out of their depth to. I think a new SG TV show would not work well.
No, Captain Crimson, SG:U never went woke - SG:U went "I hate this piece of shit" from minute one. SG:U went "These characters feel out of place in this show" and they even managed to turn O'Neill into an unlikeable asshole in the pilot.

SG:U has nothing to do with "being woke", SG:U is a case of "Let's just try something different for the sake of trying something different."
A woke SG show might have a more diverse cast - since, we're finally done with the "oh, let's just favourize a small minority of this planets people"-shit - but that would be about it.

But, let's be honest here: The way, Chuck sometimes nags about Carter and Jackson, I'm sure, he'll kinda like the cast of SG:U.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

I reiterate, there were LGBT blogs back then bemoaning Wray's dubious sex themes while the same for Colonel Telford are brushed aside and ignored.

Given all his statements about this in the past, I cannot see Mr. Chuck being on board for that.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

clearspira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:05 pm Those rape stones were hands down the worst part of this show for me. Who the f-k would let someone go out in their body like that? If that was me, I would be like ''if we agree to this, you are doing nothing more in my body than eating, peeing if you need to and washing if you need to. No sex, no partying, no getting into fights with ex-spouses.''

It also amused me that those stones always seemed to know to put the men into the men and the women into the women even though we know sex swaps are possible because Vala did it to Daniel. Does it know your mental gender or what? What if I REALLY wanted to be in the woman's body? What then? So much crap worldbuilding on offer here.
To be fair the stones were introduced way back in SG1, heck they even had a body-switching ep before the stone was introduced. The Device was made by Merlin as well as the stones, and the executive or writers didn't even plan for it. I was mostly confused about how the crew of the Destiny somehow got the right body on Earth as well from the crew of the Destiny. I will say one thing about SGU is that Rush did grab the stones knowing it would help in contacting Earth. It was a scene in the pilot that a lot missed, but I remembered. The show still sucked, and Rush later said that SG command gave him command over Destiny witch everyone agreed of nothing but BS. And they took the stones away from Rush after that. And came the rape shit, that that crap with Everett Young and his wife in the body of David Telford. Just one thing after another. Man, this show sucked.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:05 pm Those rape stones were hands down the worst part of this show for me. Who the f-k would let someone go out in their body like that? If that was me, I would be like ''if we agree to this, you are doing nothing more in my body than eating, peeing if you need to and washing if you need to. No sex, no partying, no getting into fights with ex-spouses.''

It also amused me that those stones always seemed to know to put the men into the men and the women into the women even though we know sex swaps are possible because Vala did it to Daniel. Does it know your mental gender or what? What if I REALLY wanted to be in the woman's body? What then? So much crap worldbuilding on offer here.
I honestly forgot about that. I really did hate that.

There is a backlash on WW84 for the same exact reason.

Imagine if a guy took over another guy's body and decided to have a one night stand with some bar chick. That guy who was took over could legally be made responsible for that child even if he wasn't literally in the right mind during it the conception.

Stargate Command would have to figure out how to get that guy whose body was used for sex to get out of it. Then you get the issue of the guy dealing with a kid who is literally his child.

Then it becomes even bigger with women. Getting pregnant without your consent because you were literally not in control because your mind was millions of lightyears away.

But I do agree with Chloe. This never seemed to be a friendzoned feel she had to Eli but like a emergency backup.
I got nothing to say here.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Captain Crimson wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:03 pm I reiterate, there were LGBT blogs back then bemoaning Wray's dubious sex themes while the same for Colonel Telford are brushed aside and ignored.

Given all his statements about this in the past, I cannot see Mr. Chuck being on board for that.
Of course he's not on board for the body-swap-sexy-stuff - who would be?
But probably he's on board with the more "serious" tone of the show, since it's more like "a character drama" and whatnot.
Se, when I have the luck to watch a Stargate SG1 or SGA Episode, I'm having a good time - then I have a look at what SFDebris says about it and think "Hm, that's one way to describe, what you just saw." and then I end up with him ranting about Daniel or Sam, mostly with "Well, I don't want to rant about Daniel/Sam" said before he rants about them.
I'm sure, he has a blast with the more galactica-like setting and I'm sure, he'll say something like "That's how Voyager should've been."
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

To what is worth, there is one Kino webisode where one of the persons they swap bodies with, says they're OK with it since they volunteer and sign some disclosure for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uExAivZhfDA
Not sure why they didn't include that scene in the show though. It's much better than the tiresome filler most episodes tend to have.