Superman to be cast with a black actor.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by Captain Crimson »

Again, just imagine Mr. Brooks at his prime as an alternate take on Superman? Don't care if it's Clark Kent or Calvin Ellis, if you hitch him to a writer, like, say, Mr. Nolan, it would be astounding. Mr. Brooks has the raw POWER of Superman, he just needs a good writer.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

BBally81 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:18 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 am You know the 78 superman depicted Pa Kent pretty well all things considered, then again that was like 43 years ago.
Such a small but very impactful performance by Glenn Ford. I think he’s only there for like a good five minutes, but what a five minutes.
That is one of the reasons why I'm neutral on the whole "Kents alive or dead" argument, on one hand having them alive is a charming image of a man with almost godlike powers visiting his parents for a slice of apple pie, on the other killing at least one of them in his pre-Superman years would be an effective dramatic development for the character, making him realize despite his powers he can't perform miracles, which is why Jonathan's death in Man of Steel doesn't really work.
I agree. I think it depends on how it's handled of course.

I prefer both parents be alive and well when they see him become Superman. However, Glenn Ford's Pa Kent dying in order to show how Clark isn't all powerful enough to reverse death is pretty powerful. In the case of MoS, yeah, that just fell flat.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I would love to see Chuck review the 1978 Superman film, too bad I can't afford to pay for a request at this time.
Last edited by BBally81 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

BBally81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm I would love to see Chuck the 1978 film, too bad I can't afford to pay for a request at this time.
I've never seen the film, Chuck, made in 1978. Sounds fascinating.
Power laces... alright.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

BBally81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm I would love to see Chuck review the 1978 Superman film, too bad I can't afford to pay for a request at this time.
Isn't his queue full for the next several years?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:26 am
BBally81 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm I would love to see Chuck review the 1978 Superman film, too bad I can't afford to pay for a request at this time.
Isn't his queue full for the next several years?
And people keep making it sure stays full.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Gotta say, I have no problem with a POC Clark Kent. I mean, we got a POC Zod in the Krypton-TV-Series, why not a POC-Clark?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm Gotta say, I have no problem with a POC Clark Kent. I mean, we got a POC Zod in the Krypton-TV-Series, why not a POC-Clark?
Well if you know anything about the demographics in the region where the Els are from then you'd know that that's preposterous.

Inb4 that was from an earlier time when they were all clones and things have changed since then so it's really not much of an inconsistency especially considering that that was like 60 years prior.
Power laces... alright.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:52 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm Gotta say, I have no problem with a POC Clark Kent. I mean, we got a POC Zod in the Krypton-TV-Series, why not a POC-Clark?
Well if you know anything about the demographics in the region where the Els are from then you'd know that that's preposterous.

Inb4 that was from an earlier time when they were all clones and things have changed since then so it's really not much of an inconsistency especially considering that that was like 60 years prior.
Honestly, neither do I know anything about the demographics, nor do I care that much.
They do a black Kal'el, you can whine about it, but it doesn't change the fact.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:59 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Honestly, neither do I know anything about the demographics, nor do I care that much.
They do a black Kal'el, you can whine about it, but it doesn't change the fact.
Curious, when do you have a problem with a POC rendition of any character?
Power laces... alright.