Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Re: Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Mara Jade? Yes, please! Would be about time!
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Man, talk about dealing with Toxic fandom nonsense.
Going from being told to smile more by all the dipshit Marvel guys to having to listen to Star Wars jerkoffs complain about how she is not a natural redhead.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:12 pm Man, talk about dealing with Toxic fandom nonsense.
Going from being told to smile more by all the dipshit Marvel guys to having to listen to Star Wars jerkoffs complain about how she is not a natural redhead.
Which, not gonna lie, would be my only complaint, but there are wigs for that - or she could colour her hair. Or one could ignore the "redhead"-thing - after all, they did that in the Valerian-movie, too, where Cara Delevingne was portraying Laureline, who is normally a redhead.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

How often has WGTC been right? Past that, they can do whatever they want for Mara Jade in DSWC, but it's not gonna be the same context, and yet you'll get tons of EU casuals lapping it up anyway. "She's been recanonized!" No, her story is over since she was killed off in LOTF, since SWL is still on ice, likely permanently, and has been changed to fit the Disney timeline and the SJW overlords. It's just a redhead named Mara Jade. But memberberries is all DSWC has now. I can't imagine what they intend to do. Have her hook up with Luke, only to walk out on him 'cause she don't need no man? Or does her leaving him cause him to abandon the galaxy? Who can say. It's DSWC. Anything could happen.

You know what, though. Mara Jade is worshiped nonstop, as if in a desperate attempt to prove one's lore/progressive credentials, but what about Tenel Ka? Think about it, she is literally a disabled feminist icon, a warrior woman from Dathomir (before TCW took a big giant ax to the continuity), but also a Hapan, whose mixed background can reflect an interracial child almost, whose own hubris cost her her arm, and yet reforged herself in order to learn to actually rely more on the Force, that it wasn't a dependence, and accept her full lineage. Civilization and jungle in one avatar body. She became capable despite her handicap. She's also a redhead who Jacen was luck enough to tap. One would assume DSWC would want a legacy character like that for the next generation. And they just ignore SWL.

No one ever talks about Tenel Ka. This is literally diversity done right without making it hamfisted or cringe or childish, while still retaining a personality (she was quite humor impaired and rather serious-minded, with Jacen teasing her all the time in the YJK books), and DSW just forgets it. But remember, never been done before, yeah, right. They just don't want people loving SWL as much as what they do because they can't do it as well.

How about Mira from KOTOR 2? Spunky, feisty, redheaded, and a Mandalorian (and before the TCW days, again, so peak EU), a war vet, tracker, hunter, orphan, but with a lot of heart, compassion, guts, and empathy. Ms. Fanservice for the Mandos. And her noting about all the lost souls of the galaxy, and that in some ways being a bounty hunter, who only kills when needed, may help her to heal and reunite them, is compelling. More so than I can recall with Rey. Oh, and that she's decked out all in black, with the Mandalorian color motif, symbolizes her desire for justice. Quite unusual for a bounty hunter that doesn't resort to murder as the first option, but there it is. Or is it more grey, to show she's still mourning her family?

Bottom line, Mara Jade isn't the only hot, lovable redhead woman in SWL, yet everyone acts like she is. But think about it, do you really want Mara Jade in the same timeline as Ceret and Terec and Geode? All fine concepts in a vaccum that have some of the worst realization in SW history, and yes, I'm including the PT or TCS in that. At least there's an interesting concept to the Anti-Force realm Waru hails from. Geode is... just a rock. What does that even mean? did I miss something? Ceret and Terec look like Sokar from SG-1, made for social media, and nothing else. Seems more like certain users here just want to see the blowback to this in order to mock them because Ms. Larson is controversial, when there's plenty EU characters she could handle well (IMO, I think she'd make a great Siri Tachi).
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:12 pm Man, talk about dealing with Toxic fandom nonsense.
Which, not gonna lie, would be my only complaint, but there are wigs for that - or she could colour her hair. Or one could ignore the "redhead"-thing - after all, they did that in the Valerian-movie, too, where Cara Delevingne was portraying Laureline, who is normally a redhead.
IF they can put Luke face on a body double making red hair should be easy.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Personally I would prefer Karen Gillan as I think she would be perfect for the role BUT I'm open to Larson giving it a shot.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Winter wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:05 pm Personally I would prefer Karen Gillan as I think she would be perfect for the role BUT I'm open to Larson giving it a shot.

Huh, the rare occurrence where I think, "This situation calls for a Karen!"

Seriously, I don't know how this would go. I'm not really a Brie Larson fan, I hated Captain Marvel and I didn't particularly like her in Kong Skull Island or The Unicorn Store. I haven't seen Room though and I heard that's good. I guess I have cautious pessimism, I think it will be bad, but I'm open to the movie proving me wrong.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think a lot of Mara Jade's popularity is sheer seniority. There's been so many badass redheaded female warrior types in Star Wars now that it's a cliche, but Mara was there when The Thrawn Trilogy kicked off the EU as A Thing.

Although personally her being the protagonist of the Mysteries of the Sith game which I was obsessed with when I was 13 has a lot to do with it too.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Again, it's WGTC. I don't put much stock into their "sources."