Should the Grey Warden in DAO Remain a Silent Protagonist

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Should the Grey Warden in DAO Remain a Silent Protagonist

Post by Winter »

Speaking both in regards to the character's possible return in a future sequel AND a Remaster of the first game. While I know this is a point of contention given how many feel having a character who is, effectively, a mute can be seen as a point of representation. BUT! Speaking as someone with Dyslexia it would be nice to just watch a cutscene and not get stressed out every time a dialogue choice comes up. And from a cinematic stand point it would be nice to have sense play out more naturally because you have the character then you pick an option to which they respond right after you select it.

It's just odd to watch a literal one sided conversation, I get that the idea is for the player to see this as themselves speaking but it just looks weird. Liliana's Song had her speaking the dialogue you selected and the cutscenes, IMO, improve greatly thanks to this.

Still, I'm not against the character being mute but in that regards would it kill BioWare to then have the character use sign language during cutscenes. Yeah, not everyone speaks sign language but we can suspend our disbelief and adding an overall simplified dialogue wheel would make it easier on people like me who are dyslexic.

Thoughts?
Beelzquill
Officer

Re: Should the Grey Warden in DAO Remain a Silent Protagonist

Post by Beelzquill »

As someone who is partially deaf tends to always have subtitles on, I kinda miss the voiceless protagonist. Truth be told I would only have the character be voiceless if we choose what the warden says, it would be completely jarring to have such an important character either just not speak at all or that character be the only NPC who doesn't have voice acted lines. I honestly hope the character doesn't return, we are already half way to the DAO Warden's calling right? I'd rather just keep that character's fate as a mystery that players can draw anyway they please.

Tiny rant about voiced RPG protags here. I really hate how Bioware and other RPG games give you dialogue prompts that don't actually tell you what your character is going to say when you are picking them. I get that it would be repetitive if we had the pc actually say what you have already read to yourself everytime, but it would at least let me feel in control of the damn character.