Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Meushell
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Meushell »

Agent Vinod wrote:Mandalorians are so much cooler when it comes to using tech. I mean EU Mando's. i don't want to know what Disney did to them.
What makes you think Disney did anything bad with them?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Meushell wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:Mandalorians are so much cooler when it comes to using tech. I mean EU Mando's. i don't want to know what Disney did to them.
What makes you think Disney did anything bad with them?
What i saw so far starting with an ANH reboot. I was wery open minded at first but i have no interest now.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

GandALF wrote:
Fixer wrote:The psuedo klingons of Discovery follow that same religious philosophy that anything not of Klingon make or design is impure and that its use taints anything it touches.
There's nothing to indicate that it's a specific doctrine. Voq joined T'kuvma's movement to overcome his outcast status and prove his Klingonhood. So it's going to look pretty bad if the outcast leader of the remain Klingon movement is unable repair his own ship with Klingon know-how and has to resort to scavenging Federation technology.
Thing to remember about these guys is that they're basically a weirdo religious cult. And despite having joined them in the war, other Klingons really don't seem to have much respect for them. I imagine they find things like covering the ship with corpses to be just as odd as the rest of us do.

Albino-Guy's own second in command was telling him how stupid he was being about not using alien tech. And nobody objected when he finally broke down and got the thing; neither his crew, who was literally one meal away from mutiny, nor the guy who provided said meal, and was quite happy to take the ship, 'impure' fed-tech and all. So even by weirdo-cult standards, Albino-Guy is a zealot.

So none of this should really be considered as representative of the Klingons a whole.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

J!! wrote:
GandALF wrote:
Fixer wrote:The psuedo klingons of Discovery follow that same religious philosophy that anything not of Klingon make or design is impure and that its use taints anything it touches.
There's nothing to indicate that it's a specific doctrine. Voq joined T'kuvma's movement to overcome his outcast status and prove his Klingonhood. So it's going to look pretty bad if the outcast leader of the remain Klingon movement is unable repair his own ship with Klingon know-how and has to resort to scavenging Federation technology.
Thing to remember about these guys is that they're basically a weirdo religious cult. And despite having joined them in the war, other Klingons really don't seem to have much respect for them. I imagine they find things like covering the ship with corpses to be just as odd as the rest of us do.

Albino-Guy's own second in command was telling him how stupid he was being about not using alien tech. And nobody objected when he finally broke down and got the thing; neither his crew, who was literally one meal away from mutiny, nor the guy who provided said meal, and was quite happy to take the ship, 'impure' fed-tech and all. So even by weirdo-cult standards, Albino-Guy is a zealot.

So none of this should really be considered as representative of the Klingons a whole.
It's really hard to say one way or another. You make a good point that most of them don't seem to be making a big deal out of it, but we really don't know for sure.

They've gone so far out of their way to signal "Our Klingons Are Different" that it's anyone's guess if this cult group is meant to be largely typical (or not) and how much of what we know of Klingon culture is out the window and what's still Klingon-as-we-know-it. It's why doing this sort of soft-reboot is a waste: you give up the benefits of using an established race, but instead of the clean slate of something new you have to additionally clarify what's changed and what hasn't. Of course, leaving it just vague instead is also an option, and that's firmly of the lazy change-for-the-sake-of-change variety.

We've spent a relatively large amount of time on the Klingon vessel, and hearing them make speeches, but I can't say we've really learned a whole lot about them.

It's frustratingly difficult to discuss this show. The format they chose means we can't talk about the big picture until it's all over.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

J!! wrote:
GandALF wrote:

Also, if you accept the fan hypothesis that Albino-Guy is the same albino guy from DS9's "Blood Oath", this guy's destined to become a despised outcast from Klingon society.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I actually think his destiny is much closer to home on the Discovery.

After all, Tyler said he'd been physically and sexually abused for seven months but we know L'Rell has only been on the ship a month at most.

He also knows about Lorca's eyesight.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

NOT REAL STAR TREK! The writers aren't bending over backwards trying to pretend the captain isn't crazy.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

GandALF wrote:NOT REAL STAR TREK! The writers aren't bending over backwards trying to pretend the captain isn't crazy.
:lol:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

I kinda wish the "Disco" t-shirt had "very" written in the back

Sarek managed to mess up his relationship with all 3 of his kids
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Redem wrote:Sarek managed to mess up his relationship with all 3 of his kids
That's...not particularly difficult to believe. Sarek is a VERY accomplished individual - he's always running around the universe making arrangements that alter the very course of Vulcan society. But very accomplished individuals are often subpar parents, because they just don't have the time.