What's your headcanon of the "Kobayashi Maru"

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

What's your headcanon of the "Kobayashi Maru"

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

As in, what do you think originally happened with Kirk taking the test. Since the Kelvin timeline is unreliable specifically for accuracy, it's fair game to speculate what might have happened without entailing a corvette being driven off a ravine.

What did Kirk do, and, why was he wrong, and why was he right?
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: What's your headcanon of the "Kobayashi Maru"

Post by Madner Kami »

It's actually pointed out in both a book "The Kobayashi Maru" and the game "Star Trek - Starfleet Academy" (which is pretty much alpha canon btw): He reprogrammed the Klingon captain in that scenario, to recognize him as a worthy and honorable adversary, who then lets Kirk proceed the rescue mission.

youtu.be/FuYgp01pv8Q
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:37 pm It's actually pointed out in both a book "The Kobayashi Maru" and the game "Star Trek - Starfleet Academy": He reprogrammed the Klingon captain in that scenario, to recognize him as a worthy and honorable adversary, who then lets Kirk proceed the rescue mission.
🤔
Memory Alpha - The Kobayashi Maru wrote:Kirk's story relates how, after failing the test more than once and becoming more and more obsessed with it, he cheats and reprograms the test to make it think he was so famous and respected in battle, that the simulation adversaries instantly surrender and offer assistance.
Link
I honestly don't know if that's more or less arrogant that 2009-Kirk.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Less. Kirk wasn't an ass about it and took full responsibility. He did only cheat on his third attempt and, by all accounts, did "the right thing" on his first pass (aka not going to help, because crossing the Neutral Zone would violate the Treaty and instead contacting Starfleet Command) and, making himself someone who the Klingon captain respects is actually a plausible scenario (which is almost prophetic but that is besides the point), unlike JJ-Kirk, who flat out removes the shields from the Klingons, kills them indiscriminately and acts like a jackass when being called out for his cheating.

One did it tounge-in-cheek on a rerun and owed up to his actions. The other did it in order to be the cool kid on the block on his first try and lashed out for being called out. One proved his character, the other was a complete jackass who shouldn't be anywhere near a starship.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I think you're misremembering:
Memory Alpha - Kobayashi Maru Scenario wrote:In 2258, James T. Kirk, on his third attempt at the scenario, inserted a subroutine to make it winnable by eliminating the attacking Klingon vessels' shields and rendering them vulnerable to a single photon torpedo strike.
Link
I can't really fault you for not remembering. It's not as if Kirk is shown losing twice before.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

Before I knew about the above semi-canon, I think mine was a little more subtle. I don't think I ever worked out concrete details, but it was more along the lines of the Enterprise is able to hold off the Klingons long enough to rescue the ship, or the Klingons only stay on one side of the ship so the shields on the other side can be lowered and the Kobayashi Maru crew beamed out, something along those lines. I think the Kelvinverse showing Kirk activating what amounts to god mode is too far, Starfleet wouldn't commend that.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I don't see a problem with the one in the 2009 movie. It's obviously a prank and Spock is just taking it way too seriously.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:05 am I don't see a problem with the one in the 2009 movie. It's obviously a prank and Spock is just taking it way too seriously.
What can you say about it that you can't say about the Trump presidency though?
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:31 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:05 am I don't see a problem with the one in the 2009 movie. It's obviously a prank and Spock is just taking it way too seriously.
What can you say about it that you can't say about the Trump presidency though?
One didn't result in 600,000 dead.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I like the reprogramming the Klingons to allow Kirk in rescuing the Kobayashi Maru.

Not as obnoxious as the Abrams Kirk which made him feel too immature.
I got nothing to say here.